BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread describes how I install and configure BMW Standard Tools, the suite of BMW software that includes INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32. I have my own custom way of doing this that is the shortest and simplest steps I could figure out.

What is needed?
  1. Windows 7, 8, or 10 (32-bit or 64-bit) laptop (XP and VMs not supported)
    Which Laptop and Windows is Best?
  2. K+DCAN cable with the switch: Amazon.com: AntiBreak INPA K+ CAN Ediabas Cable with Switch DCAN Interface Coding Support E serials Interface for BMW R56 E87 E93 E70: Automotive
  3. Installer files from my Google Drive
What are the steps?
  1. Download the files
  2. Run the installer
  3. Replace the installed folders with ec-apps.zip
  4. Install the driver for the cable
  5. Test at the car
The installer creates all the folders and program files, but not the INPA scripts and required data files. The ec-apps.zip file contains the same files and folders the installer puts down, but I've added the INPA scripts and imported the data files in all the right places. Finally, the device driver for the cable needs to be installed.

The following posts cover each step in detail.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
2. Run the Installer
These steps cover running the installer. You accept the defaults on each installer window except one where you uncheck the top two checkboxes. The following steps are for Windows 10.
  1. Open File Explorer and navigate to your Downloads folder.
  2. Right click on the BMW_Standard_Tools_Setup_2.12.0.exe file, and select Troubleshoot Compatibility from the menu.
  3. Under Select troubleshooting option, click Try recommended settings
  4. Under Test compatibility settings for the program, click Test the program
  5. At the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes
  6. After the installer launches, accept the defaults and click Next on each page except for the Select Additional Tasks page where you uncheck the top two boxes for Execute backup and restore wizard
  7. Continue until the installer gets to the end at the Completing the BMW Standard Tools Setup Wizard window, click Finish to reboot

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
3. Replace the installed folders with ec-apps.zip
After completing the installer and rebooting, we need to replace the folders created by the installer with those inside the ec-apps.zip file.
  1. Delete the following folders and all the files inside them
    C:\EC-APPS
    C:\EDIABAS
    C:\Entwicklungsdaten
    C:\NCSEXPER
    C:\NFS-Backup
  2. Extract ec-apps.zip into C:\ so that the following folders are created
    C:\EC-APPS
    C:\EDIABAS
    C:\NCSEXPER

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
4. Install driver for cable
  1. Open Device Manager
  2. Plug in the K+DCAN cable
  3. Wait a few minutes for Windows to automatically install the driver
  4. If it succeeds, you'll see a USB Serial Port (COM1) item under the Ports section
  5. Sometimes Windows fails to install the driver. In that case, extract the CDM21228_Setup.zip file and then run the CDM21228_Setup.exe program accepting all defaults to complete driver installation.
  6. Verify the COM port shown is COM1. If not, change it to COM1.
  7. Or, if you cannot change it to COM1, edit the C:\EDIABAS\BIN\obd.ini file and change the COM port number at the top to match what Device Manager has for the cable. Those two must always match!

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
5. Test at the car
  1. Connect the K+DCAN cable to the car and laptop
  2. Turn ignition key to position 2 (run)
  3. Turn off all accessories, such as radio, lights, etc.
  4. Start INPA
  5. Verify there are two solid black circles at the top of the main screen.
  6. If they are empty circles, INPA hasn't connected to the car. Verify the COM port of the cable and in the obd.ini file are the same.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Which Laptop and Windows is Best?

The actual laptop is less important. Get a cheap used one from ebay and dedicate it to car software use. The CPU, drive, and display requirements are very low, so any laptop that can run Windows 7 is fine. Needs to have one free USB port for the K+DCAN cable and about 2GB of total drive space for the software.

I find Windows 7 is the best OS for setting up BMW software. Why?
  • XP: no longer supported by most software, including Chrome
  • Vista: Are you kidding me? LOL
  • 7: Bingo!
  • 8: Meh, it's a poor man's Windows 10
  • 10: trouble installing some device drivers, such as for BMW Scanner 1.4
VMs don't work too well either.

·
Registered
2004 325CI 5spd
73 Posts
I've got install disks for a few different versions of Windows, I can set up VMs or dig through my stack of old laptops and help test your instructions on different OSs if you want, although I have a K-line cable and not a K+DCAN. I could also possibly repack everything that someone would need to install a VM that runs everything in an isolated portable environment, if that interests anyone. I like to run a virtual XP machine on my Win10 laptop to keep all the car coding stuff self contained and avoid at least some compatibility issues. I haven't messed with INPA much yet, but I have used it just to test that everything was connecting while messing with NCS Expert.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got install disks for a few different versions of Windows, I can set up VMs or dig through my stack of old laptops and help test your instructions on different OSs if you want, although I have a K-line cable and not a K+DCAN. I could also possibly repack everything that someone would need to install a VM that runs everything in an isolated portable environment, if that interests anyone. I like to run a virtual XP machine on my Win10 laptop to keep all the car coding stuff self contained and avoid at least some compatibility issues. I haven't messed with INPA much yet, but I have used it just to test that everything was connecting while messing with NCS Expert.
Thanks for the offer. I’ve seen mixed results of this software running in a VM. Some operations, such as updating a DME or EGS using WinKFP, failed while running under a VM as it’s timing sensitive and the VM latency can cause timeouts.

The intent of this thread is to provide clear and simple instructions so folks can do it themselves.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,161 Posts
From the guinea pig thread ...

Folder shared, PM replied. Let me know how it goes.
Ok, all done and everything seems to work. INPA 5.06 communicates with DME, EGS, Radio, IHKA, and even properly communicates with the MK60_DSC (it ran the ABS pump bleed routine successfully). Didn't try winkfp or ncsexpert.

Everything went according to the directions as far as I could tell:
  • When I did the restart, it seemed like Windows 10 decided to install an update and it took a while for it to go through that routine and restart the computer.
  • Deleting (only) the five installed folders from the C:/ drive can be a little unnerving. Double check in the 'recycle bin' to make sure.
  • In the Device Manager, it took a bit of time for the cable driver to fully install and finally it appeared as "usb serial port (com3)"; so I had to go into properties, then advanced in order to select com 1.
After that, I plugged the cable into the car and as mentioned everything seems to work well, or as well as can be expected*.

Edit:
*So the occasional warning will pop-up about "language variant not matching" or "malfunction possible". Click OK and move on, usually these are false and the program will continue working.

At the end, with the K+DCAN cable connected to car and laptop, ignition key in position 2 (run) and INPA running you should see the following menu with two solid black circles along the top, one next to "Battery" and the other next to "Ignition":
e46 - windows 10 install INPA 5.06  (1280x720).jpg

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,345 Posts
Everything seemed to go fine but on starting INPA I get an error message that reads "EDIABAS-Error Apilnit: Error #126 API-0005: ACCESS DENIED API initialization error No Api calls possible"

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Everything seemed to go fine but on starting INPA I get an error message that reads "EDIABAS-Error Apilnit: Error #126 API-0005: ACCESS DENIED API initialization error No Api calls possible"
Files are missing. Emailed you my contact info.
Edit: spoke to Vick on the phone and resolved the missing files by just unzipping ec-apps.zip agsin.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,345 Posts
Files are missing. Emailed you my contact info.
Edit: spoke to Vick on the phone and resolved the missing files by just unzipping ec-apps.zip agsin.
I didn't have the energy to mess with it too much after it failed even after we had spoken. I just started from scratch and it looks like what I had missed is that it had opened the USB serial port on COM 3 rather than COM 1. Changing that is probably all that I need have done.

All is well now!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts