E46 Fanatics Forum banner
381 - 398 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,669 Posts
I'll repost my directions as well

Decided to configure BMW Scanner on a new Win10 laptop.
Wrote down the steps for the next guy...
I again used the above directions, and consolidated into the following steps

Bought this scan tool for $28
https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Scanner-Programmer-Diagnostic-Windows/dp/B008RHJTS2/

Downloaded BMW Scanner v1.4 from here
MEGA

I installed drivers from here:
D2XX Direct Drivers

1. Install BMW Scanner 1.4
  2. Connect reader to USB
  3. Device Manager -> Other Devices -> BMW Scanner v14x
  4. Update Driver -> Browse my computer -> Pick from List
  5. Universal Serial Bus Controller
  6. Have Disk -> CDM v2.12.28 WHQL Certified -> ftdibus.inf
  7. USB Serial Converter
  8. Accept Yes

Reactions: manicmoose

·
Banned
8,132 Posts
I'll repost my directions as well

Decided to configure BMW Scanner on a new Win10 laptop.
Wrote down the steps for the next guy...
I again used the above directions, and consolidated into the following steps

Bought this scan tool for $28
https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Scanner-Programmer-Diagnostic-Windows/dp/B008RHJTS2/

Downloaded BMW Scanner v1.4 from here
MEGA

I installed drivers from here:
D2XX Direct Drivers

2. Connect reader to USB
  3. Device Manager -> Other Devices -> BMW Scanner v14x
  5. Universal Serial Bus Controller
  6. Have Disk -> CDM v2.12.28 WHQL Certified -> ftdibus.inf
  7. USB Serial Converter
  8. Accept Yes
Didn't work for me. I am running Win 7, installed BMW Scanner 1.4 then plugged in the reader. Went to device manager and selected update driver and browse my computer. When I selected the folder that had 2.12.28 WHQL it said driver not found.

I had read somewhere that some cheap readers don't have the proper FTDI chip. Could that be my problem?

·
Administrator
20,227 Posts
Didn't work for me. I am running Win 7, installed BMW Scanner 1.4 then plugged in the reader. Went to device manager and selected update driver and browse my computer. When I selected the folder that had 2.12.28 WHQL it said driver not found.

I had read somewhere that some cheap readers don't have the proper FDDI chip. Could that be my problem?
You didn’t mention this, so I will: the cable must be plugged into the car - ignition key doesn’t need to be in - for Windows PnP subsystem to see the cable and try to load the driver. That cable gets its power from the car’s OBD plug, not from the PC’s USB port.

Yes, some BMW Scanner 1.4 cables do not have the authentic FTDI chip inside so the drivers don’t recognize it.

Did you try the manual steps in post #1 above? Read the last paragraph in particular.

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,669 Posts
Got a new laptop and am having blue screen crash when I try to install the Win10 driver.

2. Connect Code scanner/reader to laptop USB (Does not need to be connected to car)
  3. Start -> Device Manager -> Other Devices -> BMW Scanner v14x (Right click)
  5. Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  6. Have Disk -> CDM v2.12.28 WHQL Certified -> ftdibus.inf (Warning is OK)
  7. From list, pick "USB Serial Converter". Click "Next"
  8. Warning, Accept Yes

Then I consistently get a blue screen crash.
Any help?

·
Registered
2001 330i (5-speed)
2,669 Posts
Having a weird thing
BMW Scanner v1.4 on Win10.
Build 1909.

I plug in the scanner to my laptop and see yellow light flashing a few times, then blank/off.

Install drivers. Yellow light blinks on scanner. No errors.
Device manager now says > USB Controllers -> USB Serial Converter (with no error/warning icon)
But, it does not say "BMW Scanner" like it used to say.
Is this normal?

When I try to start PA Soft at my desk (no car) with scanner plugged into USB port, and I get the popup dialog
with a yellow checkbox warning with "BMW Scanner adapter not plugged in".... BMW Scanner does not get to main screen.
On my old laptop, if I did this, it would get to the main screen with all the test modules listed.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
987 Posts
I just tried installing BMW Scanner on my laptop. I got the iSaddle cable from Amazon, and followed the instructions in the OP. BMW scanner runs, but only connects to the DME and EGS. It spits out connection errors for the IKE and EWS.

Also, I noticed after installing the FTDI driver, there's a yellow triangle next to the USB Serial Port in the device manager. It says there's no driver installed. Which driver to use for that?

Putzing around with outdated software is really frustrating!

Edit to add: maybe pins 7 and 8 on the cable need to be connected together?

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
987 Posts
Here's an update: pins 7 and 8 were not connected. I soldered a jumper wire across them, and that solved the problem. Now I need to check all these trouble codes! 😯
(some were probably caused by me deleting stuff)

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
1,412 Posts
I m still not able to make it work, cable is fine, cause many times ago it worked, I manually changed the hardware id from 0403 to 0333 and the other one disabled driver signature when installed the information files, cable is getting power, even the BMW scanner says fdti drivers are installed and the cable is plugged in, but I am still getting hardware is not ready. The only thing I can, see is wrong is that the cable doen't show up neither in device manager nor in the right bottom of the screen when I am plugging it in. Only thing in device manager is under ports, where it shows it and it works okay, so it says at least.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
Holy Cats, Numba 1-

that worked! after far too much horsing around on
my part, I just did berzactly what you typed out,
and viola- Scanner 1.4 works on this machine now.

Thank you, and thanks, Bali- because you're a persistently
benevolent presence here.

t
30 errors?!??? it's like I misplaced the rest of the car or something! ;)

Reactions: Bali
381 - 398 of 398 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.