E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Use that on 64 bits at your own risk guys.
You are already using a clone interface made in China originally made by PA Soft in Russia, already BMW Scanner is not 100% sound, so over a a cloned interface on a 64 bits systems, yeah that looks alright, but you are taking risks that can be costly.
Like for example....? Now im a little concerned. I have noticed the Chinese version not allowing me to read some e46s that I've worked on, when inpa and ncsexpert (through vmware xp) works fine but it talks to my computer just fine. I wonder if the ews mcu reader im using also goes through that same ftdi driver thing. Lol. I'd hate to be coding someone's mcu and then it crap out on me. So far, everything went well with mine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This worked on my Windows 7 64 bit. I am using a cable that I got from dealextreme.com and the software I downloaded right from PA soft.

I just found out my car used to be an automatic! I will be making a thread of my findings very soon.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This worked on my Windows 7 64 bit. I am using a cable that I got from dealextreme.com and the software I downloaded right from PA soft.

I just found out my car used to be an automatic! I will be making a thread of my findings very soon.
Do you have home, premium, or. Ultimate?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm glad it worked and yet another person confirms it. It's just sometimes I find it annoying to have to boot up a virtual machine in order for me to use a software, in particular ncsexpert. Unfortunately, there's no solution for your that or do I think ever. Oh well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Like for example....? Now im a little concerned. I have noticed the Chinese version not allowing me to read some e46s that I've worked on, when inpa and ncsexpert (through vmware xp) works fine but it talks to my computer just fine. I wonder if the ews mcu reader im using also goes through that same ftdi driver thing. Lol. I'd hate to be coding someone's mcu and then it crap out on me. So far, everything went well with mine.
Like your program crashes in the middle of a coding/programing operation because of an invalid procedure call, memory violation and so on, because it was not properly compiled on a 64 bits platform etc. Not fun.

BMW Scanner does not handle all the ECU of the e46, e53...
Today I could not connect to a DDE4 of a 2002 3.d X5 for example. I used INPA and connected fine.
Plus BMW Scanner is not able to all your car modules either, even though a lot appear on those 3 pages. It is a handy tool, but it has its limitations.

If you are serious about coding, get yourself the appropriate hardware. Now if you have some tools to simply code your car once, fair enough. But customers cars on a regular basis? Lets be serious. Keep yourself out of potentially serious troubles.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Oh yeah I agree. I actually use ncsexpert for the fact that half the people I attempted to connect to so far didn't even want to talk to pa soft. It's options are indeed extremely limited. I find pa soft to be more useful as far as checking out fault codes, since it's an easy layout, no typing, and I can see all the errors in each module that's critical with several clicks. It also provides simple to read live data readings and if the person wants simple coding done to their car, I do it from there as well. All in one software kind of deal.
I also use it as a primary tool on my vehicle. It talks to all the modules that are important enough for me. I do not like having to run inpa through win 7 and then if I need to code, boot vmware to run that. I also don't like inpa because sometimes if you update certain files to get a later version you end up with German generated fault tcodes. Yeah I know I can change it but boy, how inconvenient.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Got my scanner today:
I'm running W7 home premium 64 bit, it did the ftdi chip route- loaded it the way the instructions here and on bimmer forums gave me and i ended up with blue screen. had to go into SAFE MODE and uninstall the ftdi on the driver, in device manager.:banghead::mad:

What the hell do I do now>!!:dunno:

I'm not familiar with the VMware appraoch. Can anyone elaborate a bit more?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hm... You know the funny thing is I too have been having some major issues with my scanner. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I've been getting an error, "privileged instructions" and some sort of address access denied or something like that. I'm wondering what's going on myself. Prior to this scanner, have you installed any type of usb scanning devices? Any obd 2 scanning device?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yeah they worked for me too. I was the one who wrote this. I mean I know my issue is regarding something else. Maybe the scanner just took its last breath. Time for open heart surgery

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hm... You know the funny thing is I too have been having some major issues with my scanner. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. I've been getting an error, "privileged instructions" and some sort of address access denied or something like that. I'm wondering what's going on myself. Prior to this scanner, have you installed any type of usb scanning devices? Any obd 2 scanning device?
I just got the scanner and attempted to use on my laptop which is Win7 x 64 Home edition. I am getting similar 2 errors and it keeps popping up over and over until i kill process tree. Unfortunately, with home edition, it does not allow you to use virtual machine so I am looking for alternative solution.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
the only solution I can think of is to use Windows ultimate 64 bit that or the premium version.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just get VMWare and run Windows XP 32 bit in there. I have BMW Scanner running on one of my computers under 7 64 bit but I really don't use it as all the other software is loaded up on my VM (NCS, INPA, etc etc).

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ok, just to update everybody, i had recently had a run in with the problematic "exception error" or something where you try and execute the software and major pop up windows try and fill your screen. Well I decided to order another one. After plugging it in, I found it odd it was asking for a driver. I thought that after having installed it already, why would I need to. I do it anyways, and keep in mind my first attempt was through vmware running xp. I also had saw I had 2 installations of the bmw scanner on my computer. I knew exactly which one was the original one that had came with my first scanner, so I decided just to try the other unknown version.

What do you know, pop up windows again. After clearing them off my screen, I attempt to load up the one I knew was from the ebay Chinese seller. It ed and i had no problems. That's so odd. Any comments?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
prior to trying this method of installation, did you "attempt" to install it using the drivers given to you when you received the hardware? if so, those may need to be uninstalled through the device manager before reattempting the install using my supplied method.

21 - 40 of 398 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.