BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

361 - 380 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,395 Posts
I could only get it to run in a virtual machine on my Win7 laptop until I did a fresh OS install, then when reinstalling everything I followed the steps in here and it worked without any trouble

·
Registered
76 Posts
The problem with XP is it's no longer supported by most software, including Chrome.
This is why I installed Firefox in my virtual machine. Admittedly, it's old and outdated (just like XP), but at least it works.

In general, when it comes to the VM that I built, the last thing I'd recommend would be to use it for general web browsing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you for the reminder. I'll admit I did not read every post, the tech detail get tiresome after a while, I already tried setting up an XP VM with Oracle VM Box software but could not get it to work, I will give your VM a shot, I have to Bi-xenons ready to swap into my wife's car but have been held up by the need to code them in. With the Corona thing I am not going anywhere so I will give this a try.

·
Registered
123 Posts
VMWare install

I get the same message. I get the USB device malfunctioned message when I plug in the scanner (step 1). The WMWare USB device is shown with a yellow triangle in my w10 device manager (VMWare USB device manager picture). When I look at device manager through the XP VM machine nothing shows up (VMWare USB device manager XP). Stumped again and it all looked so promising

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
The VMWare USB controller is not working. It seems that W10 is still intercepting the USB input instead of routing it to the VMWare

·
Registered
76 Posts
this is what i get
That appears to be a message from your version of Windows (looks like a Win7 / Win 10 message), not the VM. Make sure that you've enabled USB passthrough to the VM.

That said - it's also possible that either the tool you have is bad, or the USB port on your laptop is bad, or maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with your native OS's USB driver.

·
Registered
76 Posts
At the bottom of the VMware window, you should see one or more greyed-out USB icons. Hover over each until you find your scan tool and then click on it, then choose "Connect"

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,395 Posts
So I had a little difficulty getting this installed on my new win10 laptop (replacing the old win7 machine that I had had it running on before) and was puzzled by the fact that the steps here had worked in past but not now. Came back to it just now and caught this time around that Microsoft Security Essentials was flagging PA Soft as being a Trojan source and isolating the program. I knew that it had come from a reliable source so I excluded it and it runs fine now.

XP machines aren't required for this. Virtual machines aren't required for this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
XP machines aren't required for this. Virtual machines aren't required for this.
Required, no, but it sure is handy, and can make things a lot easier. This thread is currently 19 pages long, so it's sort of obvious that lots of folks have problems.

XP is a far simpler platform to deal with, at least for a time seemed like it was the only platform that worked.

Having it in a VM means you don't (ever) have to deal with the hassle of reinstalling if you upgrade your laptop or want to move your installation to another machine. Installed once and done. If you break the installation, you simply revert back to the original or to a snapshot; again, no reinstallation. I've completely wiped and rebuilt my laptop (now using a native Win10 install instead of a Win7 to 10 upgrade) and didn't need to do anything to get PASoft working again. Although I've never tried, I'd suspect that this would be the best way to get PASoft to run on a non-Windows operating system (Linux or Mac). I'm now considering getting a cheap laptop or maybe even a thin PC to live in my garage all the time (so I'm not touching my day-to-day laptop with greasy hands), and all I'll need to do is install VMware Player or Workstation and copy the VM itself over.

And, I suppose that if for some reason the PASoft that we're all using actually does contain malware, it's isolated inside a VM so it's unlikely to affect anything outside its sandbox.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
XP is totally not needed.
I posted directions on how to install on Win10.
Works perfectly fine on Win10.
Installs in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2004 325Ci 5MT M54B25 Stock / 2005 330Ci 6MT M54B30
110 Posts
XP is totally not needed.
I posted directions on how to install on Win10.
Works perfectly fine on Win10.
Installs in 5 minutes.

+1.

WINDOWS 10 (LATEST BUILD) as of 5/2020:

I installed it without instructions and ended up with driver issues,

I then used POST #1 to install the drivers and it worked first time.

Typical guy behavior, install first then read directions to figure out what you should have done. :facepalm:

:rofl:

Reactions: BaliDawg

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,687 Posts
Typical guy behavior, install first then read directions to figure out what you should have done. 🤦
Well, you are several steps ahaed of me! I spent quite a bit of time off and on trying different things to get the drivers to install on W10 without any luck. They worked fine with the same BMW Scanner 1.4 cable on my XP laptop. Then today I saw your post and wondered what I missed in OP’s post #1. Doing the manual install specifying the manufacturer as FTDI and the device as Universal serial bus controllers it worked like a charm! So, thanks for your post which nudged me to fully read post #1.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Well, you are several steps ahaed of me! I spent quite a bit of time off and on trying different things to get the drivers to install on W10 without any luck. They worked fine with the same BMW Scanner 1.4 cable on my XP laptop. Then today I saw your post and wondered what I missed in OP’s post #1. Doing the manual install specifying the manufacturer as FTDI and the device as Universal serial bus controllers it worked like a charm! So, thanks for your post which nudged me to fully read post #1.
Great feeling to not have to be tied to one legacy laptop. Win10 FTW!

Reactions: BaliDawg
361 - 380 of 383 Posts