BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new programnmed key and still have my original second programmed key. I understand I have to have them together to do it.

Nect steps?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You have to go to the dealership and have them program/code it to you car.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You have to go to the dealership and have them program/code it to you car.
Not true...There is a sequence you have to do with cycling the key through the off/run(not start) positions and then hold one button while pressing another several times...to do this for more than one, I believe you have to do the button sequence on the other key too within a short amount of time...You shouldn't have to put the 2nd key into the ignition when doing 2...do a more thorough search and you will find the answer...I have found it on this board before:) Good luck

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not true...There is a sequence you have to do with cycling the key through the off/run(not start) positions and then hold one button while pressing another several times...to do this for more than one, I believe you have to do the button sequence on the other key too within a short amount of time...You shouldn't have to put the 2nd key into the ignition when doing 2...do a more thorough search and you will find the answer...I have found it on this board before:) Good luck
Yes, you are correct. It does not have to be done at the dealership. I did a search and have not found anything yet. I'll keep looking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Get in car 1. shut doo 2. cycle key(not to start) 3. within 5 sec hold unlock and press lock key three times(locks will cycle to confirm) 4. repeat step 3 to the second key immedialty. 5. Click you heals three times and say YES I CAN YES I CAN... LOL disregard last step this is purley for my amusment!~

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get in car 1. shut doo 2. cycle key(not to start) 3. within 5 sec hold unlock and press lock key three times(locks will cycle to confirm) 4. repeat step 3 to the second key immedialty. 5. Click you heals three times and say YES I CAN YES I CAN... LOL disregard last step this is purley for my amusment!~
Thanks, I figured it was something like that.

Now, to make sure I'm clear, what do you mean "cycle the key?" I assme you mean turn it to the on position but not all the way to "start." Do I turn it back to off?

That done, was position does the key need to be in as I hit the lock/unlock sequence?

What I don't understand is what prevents ANYONE from taking a BMW key and initializing it to my car and driving away?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts