BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2004 ZHP last week. I love the car.

Before purchasing the vehicle I paid BMW of Fairfax to do a PPI and make sure I wasn't overlooking anything important. They came back with 3 issues: wipers, shift knob and cig lighter.

Great! So I purchased the car and everything was well. Until I tried to unlock the car with the key that evening. The key doesn't work in the trunk or the door cylinder. :mad: How the hell can they have overlooked this? Their checklist even includes testing the locking system as well as the trunk lock.

I spoke to the service advisor who did the inspection. I explained that I feel the inspection was not done properly if this was on their checklist and they overlooked it. I said I wanted a refund of my PPI fee. He talked to his manager, and they said as long as the remote works they don't put the key in the cylinders and turn it. He said I can bring the car in for an estimate and they will "give me a good deal" whatever the hell that means. It sounds to me like they are just blowing smoke up my butt.

Any suggestions on how to handle this issue? I am hoping it's just a worn out key but it could be much worse than that.

The car also has burnt out ZKW reflectors but I didn't mention that to him. Should I? He said they look for "big expensive repairs", but hmm...they didn't check the headlights either?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Contest the charge on your CC. File compliant with BMW NA. Easiest way. That should also be a lesson with dealing with dealers, esp BMW of Fairfax. Independent mechanics only unless its warranty work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tricky part is the previous owner did the PPI and I reimbursed him. He paid with cash. Definitely thinking about contacting BMWNA though. This is my first experience with BMW service and it is not pleasant!

·
Registered
292 Posts
this is why fanatics suggest again and again to get the PPI done by the mechanic you personally know rather than taking it to the faceless stealers because chances are, they won't won't do ****.

I would take the car to another trusted independent shop and get a PPI well, API now, After Purchase Inspection :idea: and get it checked out. if everything does check out alright, i would just ignore the dealer and call it a day.

-drew-

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first BMW and I do most of the work on my cars myself. Also the car was for sale about 30-40 minutes away from where I live. So I didn't really know where to go. At the very least I am going to go down there during lunch next week and see if I can get them to do a free diagnostic and see what the problem is. Maybe I can bend their arms a little harder in person.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got a refund from them for the PPI and they are going to give me a discount on parts to get the key fixed, but unfortunately I am still on the hook for that.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
did you turn the key the right way when it was in the cylinder?

I dont use the key in the cylinders that much, i think your supposed to turn it right, rather than left. First time i did it, i was like wtf it wont unlock, then i turned it right and was like oOoO

·
Registered
282 Posts
Never have the same place/people who's selling you the car do PPI; nor any other inspection prior to you deciding to buy.
It's a given that they'll have something up their sleeves, just to make the sale.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
umm...honestly, if i was doing a ppi on it, i wouldn't stick it in the cylinder either. Can't believe you are getting upset over something so small. Had it have been like a blown motor, a hole in a tire, a coolant/oil leak that the missed or something then i would have been upset, not a small lock cylinder problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So what does it mean to you to check the "trunk lock" and the "glove box"? The 2nd time the tech checked the glove box he tried the key himself without me even asking. He admitted he was embarrassed that this didn't get caught. It doesn't work in the glove box, the trunk lock or the door, each of which is a different item on the checklist. That is 3 opportunities to notice the problem.

It's not a small problem. Replacing all 4 locks with 2 new keys costs close to $1000. They are offering to do it for a little less but apparently that is with a discount.

I didn't buy the car from them, I just paid them to do the PPI. Why do people keep thinking I bought the car from them? I'm not asking them to fix the key problem.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
You caught the fact that you have a replacement key and that the locks were not changed to match.

This is something that should have been disclosed before the sale.

I would not be happy about the non-disclosure.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/Used-Car-Pre-Purchase-Inspection
not possible. Keys are ordered coded to the vehicle. you cannot get a key that isn't coded to the vehicle. All of the lock cylinders would have had to be changed in the past for this to happen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not possible. Keys are ordered coded to the vehicle. you cannot get a key that isn't coded to the vehicle. All of the lock cylinders would have had to be changed in the past for this to happen.
The dealer doesn't know what is going on with the car. They think somehow the ignition cylinder was replaced without being recoded to the vehicle but they are scratching their heads with this one. I told them that another dealer said the key might be worn out but they don't seem to think that's plausible.

They are recommending I buy a new lock kit which is all 4 locks and 2 new keys. It's quite expensive as I have already mentioned. I don't know what to do at this point...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah that is the problem. If a dealer did this why isn't in the records? The dealer says BMWNA might know something so I might call them on Monday to see if I can get anymore information.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got a wallet key, and it works in the door and the ignition! Amazing! I don't have to rekey anything. Looking at the original key closer there is a dent along the edge so maybe that is just enough to keep it from working in the door?

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the outcome. However, the new key doesn't work in the glovebox and trunk - it doesn't even go in. It's dark grey, so I assume it is a valet key. I had specifically asked for a wallet key and the guy in parts said it's a wallet key when I picked it up. Also I don't see a different part number on realoem.com, so I guess they don't make wallet keys that work in the trunk anymore?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts