E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How to get rid of corner entry understeer

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ryznar 
#1 ·
Battling some terrible low speed corner understeer at the track with my 330i. Car is DD/track car with some mods: a 50% lockup E30 LSD with a 3.64 ratio, Bilstein B8 + eibach pro kit, camber plates, M3 front sway bar, poly LCABs, -2,7 camber, 0.04º toe in up front and -1,5º/0.04º rear, brake pads are Ferodo DS 1.11 all four

My first thinking is this is due to the LSD locking under deceleration, in fact I'm still getting used to the LSD, the car drives totally differently and I've got the acceleration part down, not so much the other one. Obvious solution if this were the case would be to modify the ramps to achieve a lower deceleration lockup, however I'd prefer to try other fixes before I send the diff to the shop.

I gather the first thing to do would be to toe out the front wheels, and I was also thinking of adding 5 mm spacers to the fronts to widen the track. As for tyre pressures, I've been running about 34 psi hot with 225/40/18 Nankang NS2Rs, I think I should have lowered it just a bit more...

Should I do something with the sway bars? There's obviously quite a bit of body roll with the Eibach springs and I'm okay with that for the time being, but maybe a stiffer rear would be good?

See less See more
#2 ·
50% lockup is a lot.

You mention a M3 front sway bar. What about the rear? If you just upgraded the front but not rear, that would definitely cause understeer.

I also have the Eibach Pro-Kit but I'm running MTech/E36 M3 dampers and full Eibach sway bar kit. Alignment is -2.1° camber/7.4° caster/0 toe front and -1.2° camber/0.1° toe rear. No understeer here.

I'd start with the sway bar situation and at least get the balance back in order. When using the M3 front bar, you should couple that with a 20mm XDrive or vert rear bar. Or (as I would recommend) just go straight to the Eibach sway bars. The rear isn't adjustable but the front is. I kept mine on soft for the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.