BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a while back how the 99/00 MY E46s had overboosted power steering, which makes the steering feel a little too light/floaty when driving along at speeds that a BMW is meant to be driven at! ;)

I've searched here and bimmerforums but not come up with the threads i had read way back. Anyone got any useful links as to which parts are required, or what years? I spotted this on ebay and wondered if it would do the job??:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260585731252&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
497 Posts
99/00 MY cars did NOT have the overboosted steering,they actually have the least boosted steering. It was 01 MY that had the really bad overboosted steering racks. Most people try to find a steering rack out of a 99 or 00 to swap in to go to the least boosted steering. That part you linked to will not do anything to the steering feel, it is the rack not the column that gets replaced.

·
Registered
500 Posts
can someone chime in about the quicker ratio (i hate how many turns lock to lock my 01 330ci has)

someone a long time ago commented on a new rack fvking with the DSC and EBD and ABS due to the steering angle sensors or something?

anyone?

------------------------------------------------
also, jmay87, is it a "direct" swap for the rack? i thought the column is where the powersteering comes from (that big black dum disk right in the engine bay on the driver's side firewall). Also, can i underpower it but removing some lines (liike if there are 4 in out, just make 2 in out?)

·
Banned
9,467 Posts
can someone chime in about the quicker ratio (i hate how many turns lock to lock my 01 330ci has)

someone a long time ago commented on a new rack fvking with the DSC and EBD and ABS due to the steering angle sensors or something?

anyone?

------------------------------------------------
also, jmay87, is it a "direct" swap for the rack? i thought the column is where the powersteering comes from (that big black dum disk right in the engine bay on the driver's side firewall). Also, can i underpower it but removing some lines (liike if there are 4 in out, just make 2 in out?)

a new rack shouldnt mess with the DSC or anything like that. the ZHP has no different program than any other non-m e46 as far as DSC, ABS goes...

and no the big black drum disk is the brake booster not having anything to do with power steering

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99/00 MY cars did NOT have the overboosted steering,they actually have the least boosted steering. It was 01 MY that had the really bad overboosted steering racks. Most people try to find a steering rack out of a 99 or 00 to swap in to go to the least boosted steering. That part you linked to will not do anything to the steering feel, it is the rack not the column that gets replaced.
Thanks i checked BMWfans info and you're right my July '00 330Ci has the same rack as the last run of 328Ci's, but i'd still like to make my steering feel a little heavier, less sensitive perhaps.... need to look into underdriving the power steering pulley........ another one added to the list of things to check out/things to do!!

Finally found this thread which may be of help to some folks:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=667263&highlight=quicker+steering

1 - 6 of 6 Posts