E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What should I do if my headlights do not turn off when in the '0' position? (Hoping it's something obvious to avoid a potential $400 control switch module replacement)

I just purchased my first car at 35 after never really needing one living in Chicago. Life changes and with the help of my 'Reknown' connection I picked up a 2005 330i Performance Package (non-zhp/M-sport) (Alpine white/Natural brown Montana). Beautiful car inside and out and I've only had to throw a little money at minor cost cosmetic fixes so as not to be reminded it is used (kick/panel / Dead pedal, roundel in front, small front bumper piece, front left speaker cover). Only lingering issues that reside: DSC light coming on randomly, need Steering/wheel alignment done, and the other one I have a question about: What should I do if my headlights do not turn off when in the '0' position? (Hoping it's something obvious to avoid a potential $400 control switch module replacement).

Any help would be great. Happy to be a part of the e46 family.

Anyone out there in Chicago that knows someone able to replace cooling system or work on sensor replacements in the near future let me know. I'm already obsessed with the car and got it cheap so I want to put a little $ into it now to get another 100k miles out of it.

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
2,114 Posts
You can find the E46 wiring diagrams here. BMW WDS Online

Do you have a good scanner with BMW software to be able to read the trouble codes in the light module (LCM)? If not, I suggest you set up BMW Standard tools (free software) on a windows laptop and buy the cheap special cable. This will set you up for doing your own fault finding for the next 100,000 miles of your ownership. How to Install BMW Standard Tools

Read the LCM codes and then you will have a better idea of where to start.

While you are waiting to set up BMW standard tools, you'll have to learn to pull the head light fuses to stop them draining your battery flat. The fuses are located through the glove box. There is a white card in there that will show you which fuses to pull.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks NZ00Z3! I will definitely do that to get better error codes. As a note the lights turn off when I turn the car off but maybe you are still implying having my lights on constantly is not a good thing even while driving. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
02/2004, 330i Sedan, M54B30, KM35527
436 Posts
IIRC, the headlights turn off in the 0 position, but the "parking" lights still stay on. You headlights are not turning off at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll double check. Thanks. I would be lying if I said this is the first time I thought something was wrong but just didn’t understand small nuances of bmw as a first time bmw owner. Thanks SP1200

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC, the headlights turn off in the 0 position, but the "parking" lights still stay on. You headlights are not turning off at all?
To your point tho, there is a way to have the car on and have no lights on right? Put in in neutral or have someone put it in drive and check to see if all lights go off in ‘0’ position??

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,455 Posts
Just to be clear, which headlights? Inner or outer? Is there a chance you are seeing the inner headlights running as DRL? Maybe a stupid question but have to be clear before giving any advice.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,455 Posts
Ok I checked. If I’m driving and I put switch at ‘0’ the inner yellow lights stay on. So if that’s DRL is there a way to deactivate it without coding?
Yeah, you are looking at the inners set as DRL as I suspected. They run at about 5V instead of 12V in the high beam position. Very easy to turn them off but you will need PA Soft 1.4 or NCS Expert software. Takes about 60 seconds in PA Soft 1.4 to turn them off.

·
Registered
436 Posts
dude. Are you talking about the orange parking/blinker lights? or actual bright white headlights??

I was told the parking lights are designed to be ON in the "0" position by design so the cars don't get hit by snow plows in the snow when parked overnight. lol. makes sense.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah, you are looking at the inners set as DRL as I suspected. They run at about 5V instead of 12V in the high beam position. Very easy to turn them off but you will need PA Soft 1.4 or NCS Expert software. Takes about 60 seconds in PA Soft 1.4 to turn them off.
Is there a way to turn that feature off? I was told by many members there was not. I've looked at the LCM in PA SOFT and have not seen an option..

·
Administrator
20,199 Posts
Is there a way to turn that feature off? I was told by many members there was not. I've looked at the LCM in PA SOFT and have not seen an option..
Scroll down to the LCM Options section.

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,433 Posts
What should I do if my headlights do not turn off when in the '0' position?
As a note the lights turn off when I turn the car off
dude. Are you talking about the orange parking/blinker lights? or actual bright white headlights??
SP1200, Jkcrist05330i is obviously talking about the headlight.

I was told the parking lights are designed to be ON in the "0" position by design so the cars don't get hit by snow plows in the snow when parked overnight. lol. makes sense.
SP1200, Jkcrist05330i, is in the car in "0" position and hope he would be aware if there's snow plowing coming his way. and hope he would turn off car (and lights would turn off) when parking overnight.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,455 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Took a look at my LCM today and the coding is the same as this screen shot here. I believe I have a better understanding of what the OP was saying...I don't believe it's "daytime running lights"

I notice when I park my vehicle with the LCM in the 0 position, If I flip the blinker left or right. The side marker light will stay fully illuminated on the side the blinker switch is in position. Also if I happen to tap my high beams, they will fully illuminate and not stop with illumination even once the switch is depressed. I have to cycle the LCM switch to fully on then back to 0 position again to get them to stop illumination.

Can anyone give some insight to this?

·
Registered
436 Posts
SP1200, Jkcrist05330i, is in the car in "0" position and hope he would be aware if there's snow plowing coming his way. and hope he would turn off car (and lights would turn off) when parking overnight.
Yeah I'm sorry. I believe I was meaning to refer to the position (Auto) just left of the 0 position. That how my 2001 325i was coded. It was a good position to leave the LCM in for auto headlights except for the fact the parking/marker lights would ALWAYS stay on. lol. A user on the forums told me that to inform the snow plow where your BMW is parked during a storm. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Latest and Final Update 11/20/2020: Thank you all for the help. These were definitely the DRLs. I followed instructions per replies and installed BMW tools/NCS expert/NCSdummy. I purchased said cable. I followed YouTube he videos for NCS expert instruction to turn off DRLs. Now when I have my lights in ‘0’ position there are no lights on and all is well in the world. Only issue is now whenever I’ve tried coding something else I can’t get it to work (acoustic acknowledgement when locking, yes I have alarm system) and windows rolling up when I hold lock button) need to start over I guess.

I also checked for errors in the car.
Car: ‘05 330i’ (sport/premium packages)

1st error: (ECU: DSC_MK60)
“SE21 Druck Sensor”
Summary of what I understand: this is a DSC pressure sensor issue hence the DSC and brake lights I get on after driving for a while and sensors heating up...then they go away. I’ve also heard of it being an issue with low brake fluid (not the case) or even the steering angle causing an issue (which I admit needs to be realigned all together) Not sure if I should ignore or just replace the sensor per YouTube. THOUGHTS?

2nd Error: (ECU: LWS5_18)
“9 Keine ASC2-Botschaft”
Summary: don’t know what this is...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts