E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need to change the clutch kit. I have some technical background in BMWs. I maintain my car by myself, I change disks, pads and so on.

I will be more than happy if any of you explain the steps how to change the clutch kit.

I should lift the car up from right and left front, remove the bolts between the transmission and the engine and change the clutch kit from the middle.

1- Should I loosen the axels, if so, front axels or rear axels?
2- Should I release the transmission oil out?

If any of you know the steps can you please write me the all steps?

I have a secure garage, 3 jacks and 2 safe steel car holders.

Look forward to hear for an answer...

Cheers all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I know that link and it does not answer to my questions.

I would rather get answers for these 2 questions, and know the exact steps while changing the clutch from a member here.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Disclaimer: I've never changed a clutch, but these tips. might help.

• Use 4 jack stands (car supports) or a lift. Using only two supports makes it hard to get the transmission out.
  • You need female torx (E-torx) sockets and 3/8" extensions, maybe 2 or 3 long extensions. Do NOT round off the torx bolts! (Make sure socket is right size and fully seated on each bolt before applying removal torque.)
  • Might need one or two 18mm combo wrenches to disconnect driveshaft/guibo. Unless it's 17mm or 16mm on your car.
  • Need to drop exhaust and disconnect driveshaft from transmission.
  • Disconnect shifter linkage, clutch slave, and electrical plug from tranny.
  • Do not disconnect rear driveaxles. Front doesn't have driveaxles unless you have an AWD (xi) model.
  • If on lift, suspend disconnected driveshaft with wire
  • Tilt motor/transmission back a little to get to top tranny bolts.
  • I don't think you need to drain transmission first
  • Have transmission jack or assistant to help lower and raise transmission
  • Make sure you get the right clutch kit.
  • If replacing clutch, replace throwout bearing and fork pivot pin too. Resurface or replace flywheel.
  • Need clutch alignment tool; most clutch kits include one.
  • If guibo is worn, replace it while you're in there. Also easier to replace starter when transmission is out.

Cliffs: Buy Bentley. Lift car, drop exhaust, disconnect driveshaft, remove tranny. Drink beer. Replace clutch and either resurface or replace flywheel. Replace throw-out bearing, plastic pivot, and maybe pilot bearing. Install new clutch. Drink beer, take nap. Replace tranny. Reconnect everything including clutch, cross-brace, and driveshaft. Enjoy new clutch.

I'm quite sure I forgot some important steps, so please do consults some good DIY's and/or the Bentley manual. But maybe this will give you a better idea of what's involved. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I should lift the car up from right and left front, remove the bolts between the transmission and the engine and change the clutch kit from the middle.

1- Should I loosen the axels, if so, front axels or rear axels?
2- Should I release the transmission oil out?

If any of you know the steps can you please write me the all steps?

I have a secure garage, 3 jacks and 2 safe steel car holders.
Thank you, I know that link and it does not answer to my questions.

I would rather get answers for these 2 questions, and know the exact steps while changing the clutch from a member here.
Oh, hell, in that case...

All four wheels should be off the ground when doing a clutch job, on a lift preferrably, but jacks will do.

No axles should be loosened.

No transmission oil should be taken out.

33,272 Posts
If you have to ask and you cant even find anything by searching it might be over your head :eek:

Pretty good list :read:

Disclaimer: I've never changed a clutch, but these tips. might help.

• Use 4 jack stands (car supports) or a lift. Using only two supports makes it hard to get the transmission out.
  • You need female torx (E-torx) sockets and 3/8" extensions, maybe 2 or 3 long extensions. Do NOT round off the torx bolts! (Make sure socket is right size and fully seated on each bolt before applying removal torque.)
  • Might need one or two 18mm combo wrenches to disconnect driveshaft/guibo. Unless it's 17mm or 16mm on your car.
  • Need to drop exhaust and disconnect driveshaft from transmission.
  • Disconnect shifter linkage, clutch slave, and electrical plug from tranny.
  • Do not disconnect rear driveaxles. Front doesn't have driveaxles unless you have an AWD (xi) model.
  • If on lift, suspend disconnected driveshaft with wire
  • Tilt motor/transmission back a little to get to top tranny bolts.
  • I don't think you need to drain transmission first
  • Have transmission jack or assistant to help lower and raise transmission
  • Make sure you get the right clutch kit.
  • If replacing clutch, replace throwout bearing and fork pivot pin too. Resurface or replace flywheel.
  • Need clutch alignment tool; most clutch kits include one.
  • If guibo is worn, replace it while you're in there. Also easier to replace starter when transmission is out.

Cliffs: Buy Bentley. Lift car, drop exhaust, disconnect driveshaft, remove tranny. Drink beer. Replace clutch and either resurface or replace flywheel. Replace throw-out bearing, plastic pivot, and maybe pilot bearing. Install new clutch. Drink beer, take nap. Replace tranny. Reconnect everything including clutch, cross-brace, and driveshaft. Enjoy new clutch.

I'm quite sure I forgot some important steps, so please do consults some good DIY's and/or the Bentley manual. But maybe this will give you a better idea of what's involved. Good luck!
A few things to add.

Might need to disconnect and tilt the engine to reach the top bolts along the bell housing

Also might want to change some parts while youre in there... throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and any seals you feel brave enough to tackle.

Your going to want to replace the flywheel bolts or at east add loctite :eeps: as those are stretch bolts... same goes for the guibo bolts... might as well change the guibo too. Also could just change the tranny fluid as it would be a lot easier to fill when its out then when its in

Its a big project... not for the fainthearted

33,272 Posts

·
Just Nuts
7,245 Posts
As you like recommendations, I recommend you do a will and state who the car should go to before you get under there with the 3 jacks you have. I imagine you are counting the 'jack' in the trunk too ? With the cash you are saving from the DIY, take out a life insurance to maximise the return on the money.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Some good recommendations in this thread.

OP, some of the questions you asked make me think you might not be ready for a job this big by yourself. Consider recruiting the help of a friend who has done clutch jobs before. They are definitely a challenging task and will consume a weekend if things go smoothly.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks alot, I will lift the car from 4 points and I will use a hydraulic jack to hold the transmission while I work.

Things that I couldnt understand

1- Tilt motor/transmission back a little to get to top tranny bolts. -----------How?
2- If replacing clutch, replace throwout bearing and fork pivot pin too. Resurface or replace flywheel.------What is fork pivot pin? Is it coming with the Sachs clutch kit box? Is also flywheel coming with the Sachs clutch kit box?
3- Need clutch alignment tool; most clutch kits include one. ---- What is clutch allignment tool? Is it definitely coming with Sachs clutch kit? What it looks like? And how can I allign?

I will be more than happy to hear about answers for these 3 questions above.

Thanks again...

33,272 Posts
Thanks alot, I will lift the car from 4 points and I will use a hydraulic jack to hold the transmission while I work.

1- Tilt motor/transmission back a little to get to top tranny bolts. -----------How?
2- If replacing clutch, replace throwout bearing and fork pivot pin too. Resurface or replace flywheel.------What is fork pivot pin? Is it coming with the Sachs clutch kit box? Is also flywheel coming with the Sachs clutch kit box?
3- Need clutch alignment tool; most clutch kits include one. ---- What is clutch allignment tool? Is it definitely coming with Sachs clutch kit? What it looks like? And how can I allign?

Thanks again...
1. Unbolt the engine mounts and the tranny mounts, place a jack towards the front of the engine and start to jack so that the tranny end of the engine can tilt down.

2. The flywheel should come with the kit... i think, though a link will always help. The fork pivot pin for the throuwout bearing is where this spring is in the bellhousing in this pic from the diy posted above http://www.my330i.com/photos/mod42m.jpg

3. clutch alignment tool is a little ribbed black tool thats in the center of the clutch here http://www.my330i.com/photos/mod42w.jpg

I strongly advise you get a bentley manual if youre unfamiliar with these things :eek:

·
Registered
775 Posts
2) When you press clutch pedal, the slave cylinder pushes a rod into the bell housing. This pushes the release fork which pivots (I think) on a plastic pivot and disengages the clutch pressure plate. Some clutch kits include a new plastic pivot or you can buy it separately for cheap.

3) Alignment tool helps ensure clutch is properly centered before you bolt on the pressure plate. Most clutch kits include one. I imagine you stick it into the flywheel center then place clutch and pressure plate over it. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.. .

MOAR NOTES to go with the beers:
  • Everybody who replaces an old clutch also replaces the throwout bearing. Not sure when you should or shouldn't replace pilot bearing.
  • Clutch kits do NOT include new flywheel, unless they say it's a "clutch and flywheel kit."
  • Officialy stock flywheel cannot be resurfaced and should be replaced whenever clutch is replaced. Unofficially some people resurface it and reuse it. Re-using it without resurfacing can cause chatter.
  • When clutch slave is out of bell housing, do NOT push on clutch pedal.
  • When you replace the clutch slave, the piston rod must properly engage whatever-it-is inside the bell housing it's supposed to engage, otherwise it can pop out and leak brake fluid into your bell housing.
  • As somebody said, good time to check/replace rear main seal of motor.

Thanks again...

33,272 Posts
  • Everybody who replaces an old clutch also replaces the throwout bearing. Not sure when you should or shouldn't replace pilot bearing.
  • When clutch slave is out of bell housing, do NOT push on clutch pedal.
Yeah, dunno what the longevity is on the e46 pilot bearing... I just know from e30s it usually a good idea to change while the tranny is out.

Very important not to touch the clutch pedal. It will blow out the rings on the slave cylinder :nono:

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts

block of wood under oil pan at the end of it near the engine damper and push upwards using a gearbox lift or something. This tilts the engine since the pressure point is after the engine mounts to the front.

None of them comes, if you need them, get them separately

It aligns the the clutch :hmm: components together

Thanks again...
No offense, given the questions above, I think it's better to go to a professional to have this done for you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts