E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you have read a thread like this before, or maybe you think you have your mirrors adjusted properly, but I know that I did not until I read how to in a book that came with my mom's Z4 coupe:read:.

No flaming if it is a repost, it is always good for those who didn't know this to read up on it.

First, for your driver's side view mirror, start by placing your head against the side window, then adjust the mirror so you can just barely see the end of your car.

Second, adjust your rearview mirror so that you can see the entire rear window.

Last, line up for head with the rearview mirror, then adjust the passenger side view mirror so that you only see the very end of your car.

Go check it out! You will notice that as cars approach you they go from being visible in your rearview mirror to side view mirror then into your field of vision.

Happy motoring:hi:!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Nice but you're missing the key element.. :banghead:

After you set your mirrors, you need to make sure you program them along with the seat settings, or else you will have to set them everytime you turn on the car. :tsk:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice but you're missing the key element.. :banghead:

After you set your mirrors, you need to make sure you program them along with the seat settings, or else you will have to set them everytime you turn on the car. :tsk:
I wish I had that problem. I have the lightweight (as in manual adjustment) seats.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My bro taught me this years ago and it has made for very confident visibility.

The thing to remember is to verify them (head left....head right) EVERY time you start your car. A freeway lane change is not the time to discover they're out of adjustment, and unlike the "conventional" method where you see your car's sides all the time, this setting requires regular checking.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bro taught me this years ago and it has made for very confident visibility.

The thing to remember is to verify them (head left....head right) EVERY time you start your car. A freeway lane change is not the time to discover they're out of adjustment, and unlike the "conventional" method where you see your car's sides all the time, this setting requires regular checking.
Yeah know what you mean man. I think mine are just a little off from moving my seat. It's not good because you learn to trust your mirrors because you really don't have any blind spots when they are properly adjusted.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have a different setup which saved me numerous times.

Both my side mirrors are pointing at the cars blind spots on the sides.

I tilt them in combination with my rear view mirror so that as soon as a car moves close enough behind me where I cant see its headlight, it goes it to view of my side view mirror.

Basically drivers side + rear view + passenger side mirror are lined up to act like single wide angle mirror.

In my opinion side mirrors should be used to check the sides of the cars not the rear. Thats why you got a rear view mirror.

So my procedure for changing lanes is:
check rear view mirror: shows the rear 3 lanes of traffic behind me
Check the side mirror: shows me blind side of the car.

If both mirrors are OK then I switch lanes.

Most people set their side mirrors look at the rear of the car but they pretty much see the same view that rear view mirror shows. If they forget to turn their head and check the blind spot, they end up in a crash.

This set up saved me number of times because as long as you check both mirrors, you are OK.

The way I setup is I pull up next to a parked car and pretend it is on the next lane. I drive forward so both of its head lights are visible on my rear view mirror. Then I drive backwards until I loose sight of one of its head lights and stop my car. At this point I set my side mirror to point I can see the other headlight that the rear view mirror cant see. This way I get full 160 degree coverage unlike the regular setup where most of what a side mirror sees is the same as what rear view mirror sees.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My driver side is "aspherical" glass which provide wide angle.
It save me from a side accident few times. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a different setup which saved me numerous times.

Both my side mirrors are pointing at the cars blind spots on the sides.

I tilt them in combination with my rear view mirror so that as soon as a car moves close enough behind me where I cant see its headlight, it goes it to view of my side view mirror.

Basically drivers side + rear view + passenger side mirror are lined up to act like single wide angle mirror.

In my opinion side mirrors should be used to check the sides of the cars not the rear. Thats why you got a rear view mirror.

So my procedure for changing lanes is:
check rear view mirror: shows the rear 3 lanes of traffic behind me
Check the side mirror: shows me blind side of the car.

If both mirrors are OK then I switch lanes.

Most people set their side mirrors look at the rear of the car but they pretty much see the same view that rear view mirror shows. If they forget to turn their head and check the blind spot, they end up in a crash.

This set up saved me number of times because as long as you check both mirrors, you are OK.

The way I setup is I pull up next to a parked car and pretend it is on the next lane. I drive forward so both of its head lights are visible on my rear view mirror. Then I drive backwards until I loose sight of one of its head lights and stop my car. At this point I set my side mirror to point I can see the other headlight that the rear view mirror cant see. This way I get full 160 degree coverage unlike the regular setup where most of what a side mirror sees is the same as what rear view mirror sees.

I think we are pretty much doing the same thing here. Adjust your mirrors as you do then place your head like it says and see if you see the edge of the car because I swear to you I have NO blind spots.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Thats right, I dont have any blind spot. If half the car is showing up in my rear view mirror then the other half shows up in my side mirror. If car is past my side view mirror then I can see it next to me without any mirrors.

I think this is a very safe set up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wes328 and gokcer are saying the same thing. I do the same thing, and it is a much safer setup, especially for highway travel. For those who do it the "old way" give this a try and stick with it for a few days to get used to it.

I do have one more tip for those with memory seats: I have the "no blind spot" side view mirror setup and my normal seat position stored in memory #1. Then I readjusted the side mirrors to the "old way" (without changing the seat position) and save that as memory #2. This way, when I am backing up, I can easily select #2 (which positions the side mirrors where they are more useful for backups), and then change back to #1 when I start driving. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts