E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2003 BMW 325xi Alpine White
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how tuning the vanos tables in your ecu creates more power. I have already been messing with the MS43 for a little bit and now i want to try to make a little more power thru tuning the tables. Im not expecting anything crazy i just am trying to learn how tuning works so its more for learning. I have a 2.5" exhaust and catless headers. What do you change to make more, is it guesswork? Just making all the values more intense? Good sensors? Witchcraft??? i dont get it 馃槄

Registered
Changing Vanos timing, or cams timing, will affect engine performance, but this also can cause pistons hitting the valves.

Registered
2001 325i Sedan
Changing Vanos timing, or cams timing, will affect engine performance, but this also can cause pistons hitting the valves.
No, it really can't, or a VANOS failure could cause it as well. Have you ever heard of that happening?

But, screwing around with VANOS settings without a dynamometer is a waste of time. You're more likely to reduce power than increase it.

Registered
E46 330iX '2001
No, it really can't, or a VANOS failure could cause it as well. Have you ever heard of that happening?

But, screwing around with VANOS settings without a dynamometer is a waste of time. You're more likely to reduce power than increase it.
exactly my thoughts, however I'm still considering the vanos tune (intake) from wiki, but always get scared somehow :D

Registered
The vanos operates to it's maximum adjustment either way all the time. You can't tune more timing than you already get. You can only adjust when it changes. To get into danger of piston and valve contact, you would need to alter the base cam timing or install cams with much more lift and duration. There are no cams available for these that are that wild. This is an issue for other types of engines with vvt and big cam(s). The vvt is usually limited or deleted completely. If you haven't already, rebuild the vanos unit before you mess with me software.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Registered
You need to look up valve overlap and its relationship with engine speed.
The general theory has been out there for decades.

VANOS allows for two things. Ability to meet emissions and ability to run cams for peak power but maintain smooth idle.
On stock setup, you won't encounter valve interference nor piston to valve clearance issues.
But tuning it incorrectly could reduce power or torque depending on what you do.

Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
There's an excellent write up and a link to a separate page (Wiki??) about how to go in and alter the vanos overlap for more mid range. I just can't find it now. It's done electronically by altering the parameters in the DME.

Registered
2004 325i
Try ms4x.net, it鈥檚 full of stuff for MS43.

Not so much on MS45.1 through. It sucks

Registered
Valve timing is a classic way to make power.

"Put more cam in it"

What Vanos can't do is increase duration, which is another classic
way to make power.

Nor can it increase lift, which is the third way to do it.

There are books on this stuff... for a reason.
It's not hard, but there's a lot of it, and it's approaching rocket science-
as in, yes, you do kinda need to know what you're doing, and yes,
things may blow up.
(altho, I think you'd be pretty hard- pressed to blow up a car by messing with
Vanos timings)

The best reason to mess with it is if you've put on an m50 intake and a free- flowing exhaust.

Otherwise, I can't see a whole butt- ton of power being 'unlocked' from the stock setup.

t
overlapped enough

Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
To tag onto the above. I've always wondered what could be accomplished on a more modern engine.
Play with vanos timing for optimization. Under all circumstances.
Play with Valvetronic for optimization. Under all circumstances.

Then go in and do all the usual stuff (after the two above have been figured out) of more timing & fuel.
Should be a reasonable jump (emissions compliance aside.) over that of just fuel & timing alone.

I've also wondered what could have come of my favorite engine; The S14 if it had such technology & direct injection applied to it?

Registered
2003 BMW 325xi Alpine White
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi everyone, thank you all for the responses :) The m50 intake is next on the list to squeeze a little more power out of it. So from what i've heard vanos is there to change the degrees of the camshaft in increase overlap, and its controlled by the solenoids, is that correct? I looked on ms4x.net a shit ton and i found the increased midrange map that MrMCar was talking about, but it's for a m54b30 and i only have a b25. If the stock maps are almost the same for the b25 and b30 would it be wise to put the modified map from ms4x onto my b25? Again im not trying to do anything crazy lol i just want to learn how dme/fuel/spark/vanos tuning works so in the future i can tune stuff a lot better.

Registered
2004 325i
hi everyone, thank you all for the responses :) The m50 intake is next on the list to squeeze a little more power out of it. So from what i've heard vanos is there to change the degrees of the camshaft in increase overlap, and its controlled by the solenoids, is that correct? I looked on ms4x.net a shit ton and i found the increased midrange map that MrMCar was talking about, but it's for a m54b30 and i only have a b25. If the stock maps are almost the same for the b25 and b30 would it be wise to put the modified map from ms4x onto my b25? Again im not trying to do anything crazy lol i just want to learn how dme/fuel/spark/vanos tuning works so in the future i can tune stuff a lot better.
The only issue with that is a lot of those maps are based on displacement, and changing those maps over to the b30 maps where higher displacement is expected, but will not be fulfilled, is bound to cause issues. My advice? Download the stock maps from the car, make a few copies of it, and mess around with the files little by little, seeing what does what. If you have any problems, just flash the stock maps back on it and go from there

Registered
Vanos or cams timing tuning to me is more than just playing around with the DME codes, but also include changing the base line relationships of the Vanos/cams timing. This why I warned about pistons/valves hitting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts