E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I have already searched.

I'm looking to get a new car (sometime soon hopefully) and the 2001/2002 330ci's caught my eye. The majority of the ones I'm finding for sale have ~50k miles, which isn't too bad. How reliable are they though? I checked reviews on edmunds.com, but that doesn't help because a lot of those reviews came in after people bought the car brand new (they probably wrote their reviews at around 5k miles or less).

Are there any things that are known to go wrong in 2001/2002 330ci's other than window regulators?

What's the cost of ownership going to look like. I can't afford to have to fix things once a month.

Can I take it to a BMW dealership and purchase an extended warranty for it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Since it's a coupe there's the window trim that falls down ciz the glue sucks and there's the ever present moonroof shade that breaks. Wonodw regulator issues are usually sedans but could be both. Mechanically I can't comment cuz I have a 323 but no problems thru 45K on mine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I recently traded in my 01 330ci (49k miles) and got a whopping (21k). The car did have problems during the time I owned it (all of which were fixed under warranty), but I would have felt fine driving that car for another 50k miles and would have not been worried about any future repairs.

Personally, I would buy a USED BMW anyday over many other new vehicles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might as well ask what the gas mileage is like on them as well. I'll be doing a lot of highway driving at around 75-80mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
consumer reports says....

that 00-01 were bad years for the 3 series. Personally I would buy a 97-99 m car for ruffly 15 to 20k.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
former_d1 said:
that 00-01 were bad years for the 3 series. Personally I would buy a 97-99 m car for ruffly 15 to 20k.
It's funny you say that. A while ago I was looking for a 97-99 M3, but they are hard to find with low miles/reasonable price.

Ideally, I would get an E36 M3 in Estoril Blue.

·
Registered
868 Posts
as for the gas mileage....i have a 328i and i drove from chicago to ny only filling up twice at around that speed 75-80mph

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yayopwr said:
as for the gas mileage....i have a 328i and i drove from chicago to ny only filling up twice at around that speed 75-80mph
I'm a west coast hippie, so please translate that into miles per gallon for me :).

·
Registered
952 Posts
hootpie said:
I might as well ask what the gas mileage is like on them as well. I'll be doing a lot of highway driving at around 75-80mph.

In mixed city driving I get about 24-25 MPG in mine.
Highway 30+.

Edit: I have 5sp manual.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just bought a 2000 323i with 149k miles. I'm just getting started with all of the basic maintnance stuff but the car drives very well. I paid $12k for it and it came with sport / premium package and xenon lights.

·
1,211 Posts
2001 330i, car runs GREAT, no major problems. Bought it used and it runs like butter. get ~23 mpg, and 5 days a week i have to gun it on the freeway in one section to merge.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i paind 12k for my 99' ive got 98k on her and shes running strong. but ive only had it since 85k. CPO warrenty is the only way to go

·
Registered
513 Posts
i got 36 mpg when driving from SF to Cal Poly..also a 5psd..great gas mileage and also i average 25 in the city which is great....on mine i just noticed the control arm bushing and ball joint problem but thats a wear and tear thing which happens all the time...i would get the 330 just for the more powerful engine...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
wtf! i only get 19 mpg and 20 in city if lucky in my 2k1 330ci step! anyone way to fix that? i dont drive fast or accel faster either! and its stock but w/ 19's

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
My '00 323i has been nothing but reliable mechanically...I have had all my window regulators replaced and drivers side seat heaters replaced. That's really about it. I have had a few other minor things corrected.

I personally think mine runs way, way better than most new(er) BMW's on the road today or the ones that people own that are on this board. I never have had the petty engine/electrical issues that I read or hear about. :woot:

·
Registered
42 Posts
01 330i bought w. 51k now has 65k in 8mths. I would highly recommend going the CPO route, for the warranty. I've had 4 common e46 problems w. car so far:

- Sunshade clips broken (ez diy fix)
- Climate control resistor failure (covered under CPO)
- Belt Tensioner was failing (covered under CPO)
- Thermostat crapped out (covered under CPO)

Thats a total of $160 ($50 per CPO warranty visit + sunshade clips). All minor problems and all could be fixed DIY no problem.
I luv the car...AWESOME :thumbup: Also be wary of the overboosted steering on the 01 models...u might not like compared to other MY 3 series.

·
Registered
760 Posts
2001 330i 6/00 build date (one of the first 330s made) - 53k miles and still running strong. Mechanically, aside from WR, thermostat, control arm bushing, and exhaust cam sensor - all fixed under warranty - I haven't had any problem with the car. Steering was also retrofitted with the stiffer rack.

I get 23-25 combined city/hwy, and 25-27 hwy/fwy

·
Registered
36 Posts
hootpie said:
Yes, I have already searched.

I'm looking to get a new car (sometime soon hopefully) and the 2001/2002 330ci's caught my eye. The majority of the ones I'm finding for sale have ~50k miles, which isn't too bad. How reliable are they though? I checked reviews on edmunds.com, but that doesn't help because a lot of those reviews came in after people bought the car brand new (they probably wrote their reviews at around 5k miles or less).

Are there any things that are known to go wrong in 2001/2002 330ci's other than window regulators?

What's the cost of ownership going to look like. I can't afford to have to fix things once a month.

Can I take it to a BMW dealership and purchase an extended warranty for it?

Thanks.
I bought 'new' 02 330ci, 5-speed..drove for 2 years ( 15K )..Only problems, window trim adhesive failure ( both sides ) No maint cost, gas mileage 24-26
All in all ..great car...traded in on 04 M3...!

·
Registered
313 Posts
hootpie said:
How much is the CPO warranty?
2350 I believe. But you may need to ask around. My auto tranny light has been coming on. No real probs though, anyway long story short their replacing it as a precaution b4 my CPO warranty runs out. :woot:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts