BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 325iT 5MT Sportpackage, Titanium Silver, Black Leather, Aluminum Trim.

I was searching around looking for import numbers and couldn't come up with anything. I've seen posts for E91's where people have stated how many were imported that year. Was curious if we new the same for the E46?

Really just curious as it would make a good talking point - or if I ever try to sell it.

Picture with the winter wheels on:

https://imgur.com/a/2sAJJtK

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don’t know anything about production numbers but that sounds like a pretty rare combo to me.

Please excuse brevity and / or grammatical errors - iPhone

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,177 Posts
If it's manual trans that would surely add some "rarity". I test drove a black on black '05 with the SSG transmission when I was shopping for mine. That trans ended up being the deal breaker for me on that car because I didn't like the way it drove and maintenance down the road seemed dauntingly expensive, but I bet that that is a rare combo!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it's manual trans that would surely add some "rarity". I test drove a black on black '05 with the SSG transmission when I was shopping for mine. That trans ended up being the deal breaker for me on that car because I didn't like the way it drove and maintenance down the road seemed dauntingly expensive, but I bet that that is a rare combo!
I came across a 325Ci convertible with SMG once. I didn’t really like them in M3’s and I was also afraid of future cost. But talk about a unicorn!

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,177 Posts
I came across a 325Ci convertible with SMG once. I didn’t really like them in M3’s and I was also afraid of future cost. But talk about a unicorn!
It's actually a different system than the one in the M cars, and doesn't work nearly as well. I hated it in both auto mode and manual mode when I drove it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm wondering the same question, I just got into a 2002 wagon with the 5spd and can't find them on web to even get a market value much less learn about the car, so here I am trying to join my BMW E46 family hungry for info

·
Registered
2000 323iT - Orientblau Metallic
199 Posts
I'm going to quote from another thread;

Here are the total U.S. sales numbers for all RWD iTs and AWD xiTs.
These numbers include all manual, automatic, and SMG transmissions...

2000 - 3,422 - 323iT ....... no 323xiT
2001 - 3,171 - 325iT ..... 327 - 325xiT
2002 - 1,434 - 325iT ... 1,902 - 325xiT
2003 - 2,068 - 325iT ... 1,884 - 325xiT
2004 - 1,423 - 325iT ... 1,422 - 325xiT
2005 - - 473 - 325iT ....... 501 - 325xiT

If 10% to 15% of all U.S. Tourings had manual transmissions, that would be about 2000 total, but I would guess the number is much lower.
So, Honestly? Not sure. If Manuals are about 10-15%, then i'd say its pretty rare, i think most rare option is no sunroof!

·
Registered
20 Posts

So, Honestly? Not sure. If Manuals are about 10-15%, then i'd say its pretty rare, i think most rare option is no sunroof!
i have an 01,, thought it was an 02 but its an 01,, no frills,, no cruise no power seats ,, no heated seats,, no climate control,, no steering wheel controls,, and NO SUN ROOF!
manbual 5 spd

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
567 Posts

I was doing some VIN decoding the other day and wondered to myself if it would be possible to develop a script that would search all wagon VIN codes and build a database with all the related option codes for transmission type, color, interior, etc.

For example, my 2002 has a VIN with the last 7 digits EZ15310. It's a 325i, red, manual, sport package, etc.

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ez15310

I can easily check the next VIN in sequence, ez15311 without needing to know the check digit in the actual VIN.

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ez15311

This wagon was built the next day after mine and is a 325i in Oxford green w/ manual trans.

As far as I can tell the "EZ" prefix is used on all RWD tourings for 2002. There has to be a way for someone to write a program that would check each sequential VIN within each touring production group for each year, both RWD and Xi. For example, i think all 2001 xiT's have a prefix "PF"

That data could be dumped into a spreadsheet and then sorted to get an accurate breakdown of production by any combination of options.

Some good info on VIN code designations for tourings in this thread:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=488884

·
Registered
2000 323iT - Orientblau Metallic
199 Posts
I was doing some VIN decoding the other day and wondered to myself if it would be possible to develop a script that would search all wagon VIN codes and build a database with all the related option codes for transmission type, color, interior, etc.

For example, my 2002 has a VIN with the last 7 digits EZ15310. It's a 325i, red, manual, sport package, etc.

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ez15310

I can easily check the next VIN in sequence, ez15311 without needing to know the check digit in the actual VIN.

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ez15311

This wagon was built the next day after mine and is a 325i in Oxford green w/ manual trans.

As far as I can tell the "EZ" prefix is used on all RWD tourings for 2002. There has to be a way for someone to write a program that would check each sequential VIN within each touring production group for each year, both RWD and Xi. For example, i think all 2001 xiT's have a prefix "PF"

That data could be dumped into a spreadsheet and then sorted to get an accurate breakdown of production by any combination of options.

Some good info on VIN code designations for tourings in this thread:
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=488884

I was thinking about the same thing! That would be super neat!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I too would love this information. I'm not terribly interested in colors, trims or packages, but would love the US sales data on RWD, AWD, sport, manual trans and sunroof. That would be very interesting.

From the thread mentioned above, geri says 1347 manual XiTs

You could guess RWD manual tourings would be about 2638 total, but would love more specific data :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Slight bump to this thread. I've been keeping a list of vins of all 2001 E46's (527 so far) and all North American Manual 2001 325 Tourings (22 so far). The 2001 manual Tourings all end in EN80***. The lowest vin I've found is EN80007. The highest has been EN80607. The thing is I have yet to find an EN vin for a non manual touring
All the automatics have ET*****. The reason this is interesting is if you go with 15% of production Tourings for the year, you get about 524 so that means proportionately there was more in 2001 than normal? I know there's plenty more manual Tourings on the internet but I've only kept track of the ones I know the vins of so far. If there's any more of my information I've found that I can contribute, let me know. I'm still very new to this all so apologies if I messed something up or am missing something obvious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slight bump to this thread. I've been keeping a list of vins of all 2001 E46's (527 so far) and all North American Manual 2001 325 Tourings (22 so far). The 2001 manual Tourings all end in EN80***. The lowest vin I've found is EN80007. The highest has been EN80607. The thing is I have yet to find an EN vin for a non manual touring
All the automatics have ET*****. The reason this is interesting is if you go with 15% of production Tourings for the year, you get about 524 so that means proportionately there was more in 2001 than normal? I know there's plenty more manual Tourings on the internet but I've only kept track of the ones I know the vins of so far. If there's any more of my information I've found that I can contribute, let me know. I'm still very new to this all so apologies if I messed something up or am missing something obvious.
Nice work, I been thinking of ways to scrape mdecoder and maybe some of the free vin check sites and see what I can come up with but, time is not my friend right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, I'm trying to post a picture of my newly-aquired 323i Touring and all I keep getting when I paste the URL is this:

What's the trick?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts