BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
needs a new sig...
4,632 Posts
i do every 5000, i use castrol like the delaer does and OEM filters to avoid any issues

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
GarrettF said:
i do every 5000, i use castrol like the delaer does and OEM filters to avoid any issues
Same. I did three oil changes within my first 38k, and now (with 38,600) miles, I do it every 5k.

·
Beware of pwner
1,768 Posts
I change my oil every 5000 miles that comes off the oil interval counter. So, it's probably between 3-5000 miles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On my old car i used to do them every 3k miles. (chevy silverado)

My current bimmer only has 1200 miles on it. The service reminder says i have to go in at 15000. Sounds a bit high for me. I'd prefer to do it every 2500.

Is it a general practice to wait 15000 miles before your first oil change?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
i do it very 3 to 5,000 miles

thats because if i go to the track. but if i did not go i would do it very 5,000 miles for my 2003m3 they say very 15,000 miles but that is to long for me.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
GarrettF said:
That's how I do it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
So if i take it to my dealer once it hits 2500 would they do a free oil change ? or charge me ?

What is their free oil change schedule? just as indicated by the computer ? every 15k miles?

·
Registered
917 Posts
They will charge you because it's not considering a scheduled oil change. The one at 15K will be free and you might get another one after that, but don't expect a bunch of free oil changes. I know "free oil changes up to 36,000" sounds a lot but it's really just 2 maybe 3 free if you're lucky.

·
Banned
2,028 Posts
Their free oil change is indicated by the computer. Once you're within 100 miles of what the computer says, make an appointment. Then it's free.

If you do it before then, make sure you tell the dealer not to reset the computer. Otherwise, they'll do it and delay your next free one even longer.

I plan on doing it every 6000 miles or so. Plan on using Castrol or dealer bought oil and OEM filters. Every 3000 or 2500 miles is complete overkill and an absolute waste of money unless you drive the car HARD (like on a track or other really severe conditions). These cars use synthetic motor oil, not regular dino oil like other cars. That's why the oil costs $5/quart instead of $1 like regular dino oil. It's actually the filter that you should really be concerned about. The oil likely will be fine for 10,000 miles and up. The filter likely won't last nearly as long which is why I'm gonna be safe and change it at around the 6000 mile mark.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You get a oil change once a year FREE regardless of mileage. It's part of the maintenace package. I have a 02 with free maintenace up to 36k miles.

The first time I called a few months ago, I was told that my computer should near 0 first, around 12000 miles but I don't really drive my car that much. I have my car for a year and a half now and put about 8000 miles only on it.

I called the 2nd time around a few months later and they gave me the same****. I was told that my computer should reach 0 or near the there. I then tell the person that I talked to BMWNA and they said I should get one free of charge, once a year regardless of mile as long my car was still under the maintenace warranty. The person quickly changed their tone and said oh yeah, I can schedule you for a annual oil change FREE of charge.

So yeah,

* JUST A NOTE, you get one oil change FREE OF CHARGE regardless of miles each year*

·
Registered
724 Posts
do it every 15000 miles like the computer says...BMW engines are built to run on very little oil and can easily go that long...people who change it often than that just want to waste money! our engines are fit to run for 15000+

·
Registered
402 Posts
once i waited until the 15,000, BMW ended up replacing most of my engine because the oil practically turned into mud. Since then i do it every 3k, and never go over 5

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I change my oil every 7500 miles.

every 3k miles is too often for syntheic oil. The oil doesn't break down that quickly. If anything, replace your oil filter more often.

3k miles is what the oil companies tell you to get you to replace your more often then you need to.

·
Registered
402 Posts
i know but its fun to replace the oil!

·
call me kev :D
6,299 Posts
huntmdwn said:
do it every 15000 miles like the computer says...BMW engines are built to run on very little oil and can easily go that long...people who change it often than that just want to waste money! our engines are fit to run for 15000+
someone please help this noob out before he hurts his car

·
Registered
402 Posts
huntmdwn said:
your poor..poor car

1 - 20 of 33 Posts