E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Quite a bit...actually I betcha the place who installs it would charge you by the hour to do that...labor rates are anywhere from 50-90 dollars an hour.

Installing a header on BMW's is somewhat difficult (compared to say...a civic) because of the tight engine compartment. This part shouldn't be tooo bad...perhaps 100-200 dollars.

The cam invovles a bit more work...expect them to take 2-3 days to do it to be safe...and probably in the 300-400 dollar range easily.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The installation really depends on the shop installing the stuff. Most def. take it to someone with experience with BMW engines..or at least Euro cars. BMW wedges the motor under the hood and it takes a bit of work getting the head off...you have to remove quite a bit of stuff.

When installing a cam (and since the head is off already) you might want to think about getting it polished/ported...and invest in some titanium valve springs/retainers (if you can afford it and find them) and/or titanium valves. You'll really have a full built head that can take some hard revving...your redline can safely be increased at this point.

A cam is one of the most benficial mods you can do...your car is way transformed....good luck, and enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
TheDream21479 said:
The installation really depends on the shop installing the stuff. Most def. take it to someone with experience with BMW engines..or at least Euro cars. BMW wedges the motor under the hood and it takes a bit of work getting the head off...you have to remove quite a bit of stuff.

When installing a cam (and since the head is off already) you might want to think about getting it polished/ported...and invest in some titanium valve springs/retainers (if you can afford it and find them) and/or titanium valves. You'll really have a full built head that can take some hard revving...your redline can safely be increased at this point.

A cam is one of the most benficial mods you can do...your car is way transformed....good luck, and enjoy it!
Actually, the cylinder head is not off when you install cams. You can't install cams with the head off because you need to time the cams, which requires the vanos gears and chains to be installed, so that you can turn them etc.

But yea, titanium retainers, are a good saftey measure, that should be done.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Actually, the cylinder head is not off when you install cams. You can't install cams with the head off because you need to time the cams, which requires the vanos gears and chains to be installed, so that you can turn them etc.
Right...but when you are that point, its easy to remove the head and have it done.

And in the cars that i've worked on, we've had the heads off put the cams in...but I've never done it in a BMW...so my apologies...

but you know what I meant :) save the time and labor and get it all done at once!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i have heard that DO NOT use titianum retainer on a street car since they don't last very long. and you will have to change them very often.

Jerry

·
Registered
874 Posts
i have heard that DO NOT use titianum retainer on a street car since they don't last very long. and you will have to change them very often.
Never had a problem with them here! Titanium is used because its strong! The NSX has titanium connecting rods stock!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts