BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, came from Bimmerforums where I mostly got purist hatred responses when asking this, but I'd really like to know because I've been wanting to boost me car for some time now. I searched for an answer on this forum but nothing of relevance popped up unfortunately. I have a bone stock 323i with the m52tub25 engine and I'm at ~61k miles. I wanted to know how much boost pressure my motor could handle. I'd love advice from anyone that has boosted this engine and has experience with the model if there are any of you out there. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
816 Posts
The truth is that it is just not worth doing- That is why have not found a lot of relevant information.

If you still want to move forward after knowing you could just buy an entire 330i for the same money as a SC kit and have about the same power. Go to any of the major manufactures websites and look at what is offered, the price and what you will gain.

My advice is to enjoy the car for what it is

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truth is that it is just not worth doing- That is why have not found a lot of relevant information.

If you still want to move forward after knowing you could just buy an entire 330i for the same money as a SC kit and have about the same power. Go to any of the major manufactures websites and look at what is offered, the price and what you will gain.

My advice is to enjoy the car for what it is
I've thought about it.. but my 323i holds a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me. I'd rather retrofit an s52 into it and twin turbo it than.. for example.. buy an m3. It means a lot to me

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, came from Bimmerforums where I mostly got purist hatred responses when asking this, but I'd really like to know because I've been wanting to boost me car for some time now. I searched for an answer on this forum but nothing of relevance popped up unfortunately. I have a bone stock 323i with the m52tub25 engine and I'm at ~61k miles. I wanted to know how much boost pressure my motor could handle. I'd love advice from anyone that has boosted this engine and has experience with the model if there are any of you out there. Thank you in advance!

Over 20 PSI on a stock motor, but you will need to install Raceware head studs.

Good luck,
Rob43

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,562 Posts
stick or automatic? kind of hard to say..
I mean I know there are those who will say really high, but what is a safe level is the key. there is a max and a steady psi depending on kit/type used. for a street driven everyday car I'd stick with 6-8 psi. your climate also changes things.
also plan on changing out more parts with higher boost, especially the rear subframe floor.

and no, a FI kit doesn't give you basic power like a 330. it's a lot more than that. and the toque is huge.

the guys in the FI section of forum will be of great help on this topic. I'm sure they say higher than what I went with.

·
Banned
2,308 Posts
I've thought about it.. but my 323i holds a tremendous amount of sentimental value to me. I'd rather retrofit an s52 into it and twin turbo it than.. for example.. buy an m3. It means a lot to me
Everyone loves their first car until they get a second car that's eons better than it. And no one besides the manufacturer puts a twin turbo setup on a straight motor except for people who are desperate for ooo's and aaa's from the high-school kids at the local hangout. Get your head out of the clouds.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
The chances this thread comes to fruition,........ 0.9%

Prove me wrong,
Rob43 :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The chances this thread comes to fruition,........ 0.9%

Prove me wrong,
Rob43 :)
Anyone that can't research for themselves isn't that interested anyways. 0.001%

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
^ I was being generous, & possibly optimistic.

Rob43

·
Registered
612 Posts
ESS TS2 323i: 310 HP, 273 lbft, and 8 psi
vs
ESS TS2 330i: 350 HP, 317 lbft, and 8 psi

I think the M52B25 is cabable, but Im not sure if other parts of your 323 will be up to par.
The Getrag 250 isnt a particularly robust transmission for handling excess torque from what Ive read, and the subframe mounts would have to be reinforced

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everyone loves their first car until they get a second car that's eons better than it. And no one besides the manufacturer puts a twin turbo setup on a straight motor except for people who are desperate for ooo's and aaa's from the high-school kids at the local hangout. Get your head out of the clouds.
It's definitely not my first car. haha. The reason it's so important to me is because it's the car that saved my wife's life. the car used to be her car that she used to get to work and back, and another person veered into her lane and hit her head on. the car was considered a total loss to the insurance, so we got a new bmw to replace it, but I couldn't let it go. I bought it back from the insurance for dirt cheap and bought a parts car with which I meticulously tore apart and used the front clip from to piece back together the 323i. There was surprisingly no frame tweakage. The project was well worth it because in total, I've put probably over $7500 into the car if you include the parts car purchase of $3500. I myself am a certified welder and I went to UTI for automotive and have my BMW certifications.So when you tell me to "get my head out of the clouds" know who you're talking to. ;) for your information, our family currently has three BMWs, two being the beloved e46's. and the new 2013 128i that my wife now drives. I've always owned bmws right from when I first got my license back in highschool. First car was the shittiest e30 sedan you could ever imagine. it had 200k+ miles, floor pans were rotted out, suspension was junk, but surprisingly the drivetrain was very solid. I regret selling it because ironically, it was the most reliable out of all the bmws I've owned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ESS TS2 323i: 310 HP, 273 lbft, and 8 psi
vs
ESS TS2 330i: 350 HP, 317 lbft, and 8 psi

I think the M52B25 is cabable, but Im not sure if other parts of your 323 will be up to par.
The Getrag 250 isnt a particularly robust transmission for handling excess torque from what Ive read, and the subframe mounts would have to be reinforced
Yeah, I ask because the m52 is in my opinion better than the m54 reliability wise.. and of course better than the m50 due to dual vanos for the low end torque. Right now the drivetrain is stock other than the m3 3.62 lsd and custom driveshaft I installed after the rebuild. I had an engine swap in mind but it kind of got swept under the rug because of the logistics of actually doing such a thing. I'd ideally like to drop an s52 in it and twin turbo it (there's an s52 for sale locally in my area right now) but I don't want to buy it and lose interest because of the challenge of doing the swap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Anyone that can't research for themselves isn't that interested anyways. 0.001%
I was primarily looking for people that had experience with boosting the m52. I already have a bunch of research I'm using to plan part ordering, but I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with the same setup and found a safe pressure level so I know what I should be looking for to keep the car daily driveable, but with the added nut of a turbo or sc. Keep in mind i already have the 3.62 m3 diff and custom driveshaft to add onto the boost. I'm a little worried about the trans though. it's a 5speed getrag 250.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I was primarily looking for people that had experience with boosting the m52. I already have a bunch of research I'm using to plan part ordering, but I just wanted to see if anyone had experience with the same setup and found a safe pressure level so I know what I should be looking for to keep the car daily driveable, but with the added nut of a turbo or sc. Keep in mind i already have the 3.62 m3 diff and custom driveshaft to add onto the boost. I'm a little worried about the trans though. it's a 5speed getrag 250.

If you're looking for DD reliability then stay around 6-8 psi. I would stick with an SC instead of an engine swap.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,562 Posts
3.62 ratio diff is not the best choice for a boosted M52TUB25. you will not be in the power band very long. that diff is too short.
the M3 gets away with it because it's a 6 speed and the rpm redline is 8000. your 323 is only like 6500.
you'll be having to swap gears just as you make full boost/power.

you might want to go a screw type SC and not a centri-SC or Turbo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3.62 ratio diff is not the best choice for a boosted M52TUB25. you will not be in the power band very long. that diff is too short.
the M3 gets away with it because it's a 6 speed and the rpm redline is 8000. your 323 is only like 6500.
you'll be having to swap gears just as you make full boost/power.

you might want to go a screw type SC and not a centri-SC or Turbo.
Yeah the more I'm thinking about it, I feel like I should just get a roots s/c so I have have a really solid low end. I picked the 3.62 up off a friend for really cheap. I couldn't pass it up. haha

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah,

please consider a better starting platform to boost with. The curse/illness is that we'll always want more pauer after we think we're "happy",
so if you begin with a chassis, suspension, engine, drive-line, fueling and DME ready for boost,

It'll make your spending/decision life so much easier ...later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah,

please consider a better starting platform to boost with. The curse/illness is that we'll always want more pauer after we think we're "happy",
so if you begin with a chassis, suspension, engine, drive-line, fueling and DME ready for boost,

It'll make your spending/decision life so much easier ...later.
Well this car will essentially become a more powerful daily driver for my wife in the future

1 - 20 of 22 Posts