BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bone stock 2005 E46 M3 with OEM 19" wheels... I'm thinking of some performance mods, any comments on how much I can expect to pay for this stuff and how much REAL WORLD horsepower I can expect at the rear wheels:

1) cold air intake + air mass meter + free flow exhaust + software... seems like this all has to be done together right? I need it to be california smog legal too. I'm looking at Dinans web site, and it looks like this could run me $4000?? without even counting install?? Seems kind of pricey to gain 10HP to 20HP at the crank. Any cheaper alternatives? If I went with a free flow exhaust, is it possible to reweld the OEM tips on? I'm am SO not down with the branding showing on the tips... that is so lame... and I aint getting paid to advertise :). I'm much more into the covert modding ;). Looks stock from the outside, then blows your doors off :).

2) looks like another relatively "low cost" upgrade are AA headers. I couldn't find any E46 M3 headers, but the non M E46 headers they had on the site are apperently not street legal??

·
Registered
74 Posts
i believe headers are the bottleneck on this car.

with everything done right in optimum conditions, bolt-ons will get you 30-40whp i guess.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Dinan Signature package - the one you mention above - claims 355 (22 more HP).

Don't know if it's worth the $5000 though....

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
pick up some headers... i would say for under 1500 you could see some serious gains

·
Registered
524 Posts
pick up a Nitrous Kit.....for $ 1500.00 and u will gain some serious power :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
probably it'll give you... 10hp give or take on the crank.

I do not think changing to free flow headers and being CA smog legal goes hand in hand.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably it'll give you... 10hp give or take on the crank.

I do not think changing to free flow headers and being CA smog legal goes hand in hand.
Hmm... so none of these free flow parts (headers, exhaust, cold air intake, etc) are going to be CA smog legal?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hmm... so none of these free flow parts (headers, exhaust, cold air intake, etc) are going to be CA smog legal?
I think only the headers are the issue for smog legality.

Exhaust, CAI are fine - the Dinan kit I have is legal - Dinan is based in CA and these mods can be installed at BMW dealerships.

Regardless, it's pretty minimal what you can coax out of the S54 engine without forced induction....

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got a bone stock 2005 E46 M3 with OEM 19" wheels... I'm thinking of some performance mods, any comments on how much I can expect to pay for this stuff and how much REAL WORLD horsepower I can expect at the rear wheels:

1) cold air intake + air mass meter + free flow exhaust + software... seems like this all has to be done together right? I need it to be california smog legal too. I'm looking at Dinans web site, and it looks like this could run me $4000?? without even counting install?? Seems kind of pricey to gain 10HP to 20HP at the crank. Any cheaper alternatives? If I went with a free flow exhaust, is it possible to reweld the OEM tips on? I'm am SO not down with the branding showing on the tips... that is so lame... and I aint getting paid to advertise :). I'm much more into the covert modding ;). Looks stock from the outside, then blows your doors off :).

2) looks like another relatively "low cost" upgrade are AA headers. I couldn't find any E46 M3 headers, but the non M E46 headers they had on the site are apperently not street legal??
WITH ALL THEESE MODS YOU MAY GAIN 3 HP!!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
smog? well isn't smog testing done through like inspection?

I think i've heard stories of cops sticking that thing in the pipe but im not sure. I don't know about cali.

But i guess you could away pass inspection with the whole o2 sensor and defouler trick. what do ya think?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
pick up a Nitrous Kit.....for $ 1500.00 and u will gain some serious power :)
I never got a ride in your car :hmm:

·
Resident CF Whore
2,880 Posts
Well... since it's Dinan products... you'll get a total of 1 bhp gain. :p

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Well... since it's Dinan products... you'll get a total of 1 bhp gain. :p
I (the previous owner of my car:) ) got 22 HP for $5,000 - that's only $227 per extra HP. that's more expensive than the stock HP cost ($174 per HP) before tax and title.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I (the previous owner of my car:) ) got 22 HP for $5,000 - that's only $227 per extra HP. that's more expensive than the stock HP cost ($174 per HP) before tax and title.
for all that money, might have well gotten a S/C.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
for all that money, might have well gotten a S/C.
I didn't pay a dime for the Dinan package - Got lucky and it came with the car. But agree with you - I'd never pay that much for only 22 more HP.

The engine is pretty maxed out stock - unless you go FI.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Get a 3.91 or 4.10 rear end diff. That will not make horsepower, but it will make your car go faster.
yup, thats a nice upgrade too. I went 3.91 personally and love it.
I noticed the original poster is in Cali, if you are in the LA area, just call up Discovery Automotive and Sean will take care of you.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I pretty much have all the NA mods out there. Your best bet to get the most out of it, is get some high flow cats and headers. I would go with CSL headers and cats, OEM quality. I personally run the BHS set up.
You beat me to the line Stalker! Go smooth over your BMW parts person, CSL headers should be available, it depends on if they want to order them for you. High flow cats too. If the stealer doesn't want to play ball, there are sponsors here that can hook you up - Sean @ D/A, Mike @ Modbargins.........

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
best way to gain power is overcourse boost!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts