BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 780 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
akhbhaat said:
A.) Most of them are lying. I know better than to think that somebody who can hardly form a coherent sentence and lacks a high school diploma (let alone undergraduate qualifications or even an AA) is somehow making twice what the average American family does each year.

B.) Almost all of those who aren't lying are in dead-end niche jobs, usually in the tech and/or sales fields. There's nowhere to go from there but low level management, which usually results in a sizable paycut followed by years (sometimes decades) spent working their way back up to their former income.

I had a friend who, at 19, was usually making over $50k per year selling cars. At that point, I was making maybe $6-7k, 80% of it during the summer working menial jobs at golf courses and such. Fast forward a couple years...he's still making $50-60k per year (waiting, he says, to go into real estate) and probably will make that (or the equivalent, compensating for inflation) for the next decade. At that point, I'll probably have made at least five times what he has during the same period, including the head start he got out of high school.

Good things usually do come to those who wait.

I agree with you... A lot of younger people today start off in a sprint with cash, especially people (it seems) that lack college educations. For some reason the people who work their asses off get the shaft right out of college. (at least we think we do for the amount of work we had to put in) However we have a potential to keep climbing due to our educations, one who doesn’t must deal with the eventual possibility that their jobs may become rather stagnate in the long term.

My advice to all the guys/gals out there that are sub 23 or so pulling in some big money is to save it up and go to highly ranked colleges, if you’ve already got your undergrad degree, get your masters, don’t sink it all into that car you might have for a couple more years!!! Remember educations are investments, cars are expenses. Ok sorry for the lecture but…..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tenchi is the only one I believe who actually makes over 100K for some reason. Tenchi, what do you do? I am guessing finance and/or investments.

·
Are we there yet??
6,814 Posts
JmAbshire said:
I agree with you... A lot of younger people today start off in a sprint with cash, especially people (it seems) that lack college educations. For some reason the people who work their asses off get the shaft right out of college. (at least we think we do for the amount of work we had to put in) However we have a potential to keep climbing due to our educations, one who doesn’t must deal with the eventual possibility that their jobs may become rather stagnate in the long term.

My advice to all the guys/gals out there that are sub 23 or so pulling in some big money is to save it up and go to highly ranked colleges, if you’ve already got your undergrad degree, get your masters, don’t sink it all into that car you might have for a couple more years!!! Remember educations are investments, cars are expenses. Ok sorry for the lecture but…..

Agreed, thats why I am not even bothering to list my info lol

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
JmAbshire said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I thought that I was the idiot actually getting a college degree from UCLA while some of my friends were making $40k-$50k a year working as bartenders, servers, mechanics, etc with just High School diplomas. When I got out of UCLA back in 1997 I was making a slim $35k a year (I really questioned myself what I did wrong). However, since that time my salary has increasing at a nice steady pace. Before I quit my job in August of 2004 to go to B-school full-time I was making about $80k total comp.

Now, I just turned 30 and make about $110k-$120k (depending on the bonus) with full benefits. I see this as the start on the compensation latter and expect to be making $200k within the next 5-7 years. BTW, I work for a large bank doing commercial real estate financing. :smokin: Education may not payoff in the short term, but it definately does over the intermediate and long term. :D

·
LETS GO RED SOX
1,710 Posts
akhbhaat said:
A.) Most of them are lying. I know better than to think that somebody who can hardly form a coherent sentence and lacks a high school diploma (let alone undergraduate qualifications or even an AA) is somehow making twice what the average American family does each year.

B.) Almost all of those who aren't lying are in dead-end niche jobs, usually in the tech and/or sales fields. There's nowhere to go from there but low level management, which usually results in a sizable paycut followed by years (sometimes decades) spent working their way back up to their former income.

I had a friend who, at 19, was usually making over $50k per year selling cars. At that point, I was making maybe $6-7k, 80% of it during the summer working menial jobs at golf courses and such. Fast forward a couple years...he's still making $50-60k per year (waiting, he says, to go into real estate) and probably will make that (or the equivalent, compensating for inflation) for the next decade. At that point, I'll probably have made at least five times what he has during the same period, including the head start he got out of high school.

Good things usually do come to those who wait.
how can you call sales jobs dead end niche jobs? Im 23 making over 100k a year in the mortgage business I have been doing it since I was in High School and making damn good money. I could leave my job right now and start a brokerage and make well over 200k but Im comfortable and have benefits etc BTW my VP of the company pulls in about 300k a year and he started out in sales as well. That was a pretty generalized statement.

USC You do commerical financing.. PM me You do realize you dont need a license to become a broker for commerical real estate. At least not in MD or VA you could start a broker and make tons of money with the contacts you have already made. I know guys that do commercial and they make like 50-60k per loan. they might only do 5-10 a year but do the math.

·
Are we there yet??
6,814 Posts
UberBimmer said:
how can you call sales jobs dead end niche jobs? Im 23 making over 100k a year in the mortgage business I have been doing it since I was in High School and making damn good money. I could leave my job right now and start a brokerage and make well over 200k but Im comfortable and have benefits etc BTW my VP of the company pulls in about 300k a year and he started out in sales as well. That was a pretty generalized statement.

USC You do commerical financing.. PM me You do realize you dont need a license to become a broker for commerical real estate. At least not in MD or VA you could start a broker and make tons of money with the contacts you have already made. I know guys that do commercial and they make like 50-60k per loan. they might only do 5-10 a year but do the math.

Sales can become a dead end job, you will still make a ton of money doing it but there is no real advancement unless you make your choices wisely.

On the flip side almost every successful CEO was at one time in Sales for a company maybe even the one they are running. So its not a bad career path either you just have to have that extra drive.

·
Registered
426 Posts
USCTrojanMan29 said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I thought that I was the idiot actually getting a college degree from UCLA while some of my friends were making $40k-$50k a year working as bartenders, servers, mechanics, etc with just High School diplomas. When I got out of UCLA back in 1997 I was making a slim $35k a year (I really questioned myself what I did wrong). However, since that time my salary has increasing at a nice steady pace. Before I quit my job in August of 2004 to go to B-school full-time I was making about $80k total comp.

Now, I just turned 30 and make about $110k-$120k (depending on the bonus) with full benefits. I see this as the start on the compensation latter and expect to be making $200k within the next 5-7 years. BTW, I work for a large bank doing commercial real estate financing. :smokin: Education may not payoff in the short term, but it definately does over the intermediate and long term. :D

What did you take in school dude? I majored in Finance and I make now where near you...

·
Registered
352 Posts
USCTrojanMan29 said:

Moreover, what is your position at the loan center? I was thinking of going into the same career as you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
24 AU$28k a year. Still on damn apprentice wages for the next year. Then i get my huge pay jump

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
M3Ed said:
What did you take in school dude? I majored in Finance and I make now where near you...
At UCLA, I majored in business econ and minored in accounting (took enough classes for a major but they only offered a minor). At USC, I got an MBA with a concentrations in real estate and corporate finance. :thumbup:

81 - 100 of 780 Posts