E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Not sure I follow you?

Yes, after talking with him for a while and using my tactics, he said he would let it go for 4K. Registration was also just paid, which is a bit of savings, right? :)

Your mileage may vary, but in my state, you have to pay a fee to transfer title, but the registration is good for whatever the remaining term is. You must show current compliance with emissions controls, this means that it must pass smog before you can transfer title and get the registration into your name. If the current smog was done within the last 60 days, then you can use the report, otherwise the SELLER is required to get the car tested and provide the report to you. He needs to get a TRANSFER CERTIFICATE, this is a certificate that is good for 90 days instead of only 60. My state will collect sales tax on the purchase price that is shown on the Release of Lien or Pink Slip (Title Document). The seller reports the sales price on the title document when he signs his interest in the vehicle to you, the state collects sales tax on this number.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Assuming the car was loved and taken care of in anything that approaches reasonable care of an automobile, this one has another 200,000 miles left in it. In no universe I am aware of is 162,000 miles on a 20-year old car anywhere near high mileage.
Correction, 15 year old car. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Your mileage may vary, but in my state, you have to pay a fee to transfer title, but the registration is good for whatever the remaining term is. You must show current compliance with emissions controls, this means that it must pass smog before you can transfer title and get the registration into your name. If the current smog was done within the last 60 days, then you can use the report, otherwise the SELLER is required to get the car tested and provide the report to you. He needs to get a TRANSFER CERTIFICATE, this is a certificate that is good for 90 days instead of only 60. My state will collect sales tax on the purchase price that is shown on the Release of Lien or Pink Slip (Title Document). The seller reports the sales price on the title document when he signs his interest in the vehicle to you, the state collects sales tax on this number.
I am very well aware, as I am very near to you In Sacramento. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That means the car went an average of under 11k miles per year, still not high miles. In 49 states, the rule of thumb was that cars are driven 12k miles per year, California cars got 15k miles.
Thanks jdstrickland.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy based on that mileage. I may hesitate to buy it for lots of other reasons, but the mileage is actually a good reason to buy.

Plug the car into Kelley Blue Book, www.kbb.com, and you can get a Private Party Value -- you will also get Retail Value and a Trade In Value -- that will change if you modify the mileage. Plug in the features and options that you know of and they will come back with a value, your interest is the private party value, then leave everything the same and put in 180k miles, then 200k miles, and watch the value go down. The mileage you are telling us is low miles that should add to the value, not deduct from it. You don't need to tell the seller any of this, but you will see if your price is good or not. Fanatics around here put a premium on a manual transmission, but KBB says it is a deduct. Personally, I like a manual, but I would not pay extra for it and if somebody wanted to sell me a car with a manual, I'd want the deduct from value, then giggle like a school girl because I managed to swing a deal. Back in the day, an automatic was an ADD TO VALUE, and the manual was the default. Today, the automatic is the default, and the manual is a DEDUCT FROM VALUE. Using the same strategy as the mileage, leave all other features and options the same and change from automatic to manual and see what the reported value changes to.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I may hesitate to buy it for lots of other reasons, but the mileage is actually a good reason to buy.
- Why would you hesitate to buy, for what/which reasons?
- Why do you think the mileage is actually a good reason to buy?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got 190k. Still runs fine, starts up the first time, gets me to my destinations just fine. Most likely keeping until the engine gives up, or the fuel pump/filter since I have a SULEV 325i.

Sent from my Pixel XL
Shouldn’t be an issue. Swap in an M54 tank and dual pumps. It should work fine as I believe the fuel pressures are the same and if there are minor additional fittings for return or vent lines, they can be easily added. Just get the tank hot tanked and pressure tested at a local radiator shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had a 2003 330i msport with 375k. It was mechanically ok until the original clutch fan went out, caused it to overheat and cracked the head. Got a head from a junkyard and fixed it, still driving.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts