BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
how much did it cost u? wut are the steps necessary to obtaining a new key.....i bought muh car used and it only had one key!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'd like to know how much too. I want one of those wallet keys but I don't know to what extreme I have to subject myself to.

·
Registered
417 Posts
master keys are expensive.. i think it was like 150-200.. i got a new one covered under warranty. the chip in my master went bad and my car wouldnt start. they gave me a new key for free :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2nd Key

I was quoted $150 for the key from my local BMW dealer. I bought my BMW from a used dealer that specializes in BMW's. They claim to have ordered the key but are at BMW dealers mercy as to how long it takes.

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
Here is the story:

The remote key costs about $150 (the wallet key is about $50). Go to the parts department at your dealership with your license and registration, and the will order you a new key. There are only two places in the world that cut BMW keys (Germany and New Jersey). So, your dealership will more than likely send the request to NJ, they will cut the key and overnight it back to your dealership. So about 4-5 days.

Keep in mind, the key does not come programmed!!!! The dealer will claim that he has to do it and charge you an additional $50. You can do it yourself. Here are the instructions:

1. Get in car and close all doors.
2. Put key in ignition and turn to position 1, and then back off and remove key from ignition.
3. Press and hold button 2 (unlock)
4. While holding button 2, press button 1 (lock) three times (in less than 10 secs)
5. Release button 2
6. Door locks wil cycle to show programming has been completed for that key.
7. For other keys, start at step 3, you dont have to put the other keys in the ignition...just push the buttons on the other keys and the door locks will cycle at the completion of each key.

If the doors dont cycle, it didnt work. I did it on my first try, its not hard at all.

Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts