BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you guys normally replace the original battery? If the battery indicator is still green, does that mean it's still fine?

·
Halfway to 2L
2,490 Posts
My service manager told me that the indicator is not always functional, it can read green, but really be bad.

·
Registered
188 Posts
yes green means its still good, my battery is almost 5 years old its the stock battery that came with the car. i would just replace it when you need to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This may not be your case, but maybe it is. Sometimes battery terminals don't make good contact with connectors over time because of corrosion. It's happened to me on other cars. I thought my battery was gone, but a handheld voltmeter said it was okay, so a toothbrush and dielectric grease + 15 minutes solved everything.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Mine is still strong after over 4 years of use.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
when your battery dies and you recharge, how do tha affect the longevity of the battery?

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
it just died twice. it doesnt fail gradually. once after my system was installed, and another after i didnt run it for like two weeks

·
Registered
100 Posts
egyptnads said:
it just died twice. it doesnt fail gradually. once after my system was installed, and another after i didnt run it for like two weeks
Sounds like you have some dark current issues. Something is not shutting off completely when you turn off the car.

Lead acid batteries are not intended to be fully discharged and charged. That will decrease the life of the battery.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just went out and my 2001 325 wouldn't turn over (just clicked clicked clicked). This morning it groaned for a half-second and then turned over. Windows and accessories work, but windows are noticeable slow. Roadside is going to jump me, then I'm going to drive to the battery shop.

What kind/size of battery should I drop in there? Don't need anything fancy, just enought to start the car. Out here in AZ, batteries usually last 3 years max, even the best (most expensive) ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
my battery was actually fine until my alternator died (lasted 3 years) causing the battery to drain and not hold a charge anymore. i got both replaced under warranty

·
Registered
817 Posts
Green means the battery is charged

It may or may not mean the battery is bad. It is telling you the state of charge (the electrolyte specific gravity) the the particular cell it's in. There are 5 other cells. OF one of them is bad, the one with the indicator could still be green.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts