BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Could someone please point me to a good thermostat ONLY replacement DIY? Seems like I found one a week or so ago and now I can't find it. I've found plenty of water pump and thermostat replacement videos, etc. I'm wondering if removing the fan, shroud, belts is required, or hopefully since I am not doing the water pump, that can be avoided. Any help is much appreciated.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,874 Posts
I would say you’d want to removed the shroud and fan anyways. It’s easy enough and you’ll want the room. Besides room for a small bucket to catch the coolant that will be spilt.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,996 Posts
Also coolant dropped over the thirsty belts, leaving one with a crik-crik noise all the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would say you’d want to removed the shroud and fan anyways. It’s easy enough and you’ll want the room. Besides room for a small bucket to catch the coolant that will be spilt.
OK, thanks. Not that big of a deal as you say to remove fan/shroud. So if I understand this correctly, I will need to remove the intake and get all that stuff out of the way. Then remove the fan to have room/access to thermostat housing. Remove 2 hoses (expect some coolant to leak out), then remove thermostat housing (expect more coolant to leak out), then replace thermostat and reverse steps to reassemble. Then finally top off coolant. Is this pretty much the extent of this repair? Sounds easy enough. I've done several other repairs/maintenance items, belts, throttle position sensor (at the back of the engine), steering hoses, etc.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts