E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting a squeak in the am for a few seconds, read up, and decided to check the pulleys etc. All is fine, no play, no odd noises(with exception of a/c tensioner pulley-blah i'll get around to it).

However, the idler pulley is difficult to spin by hand. It looks new, but if you spin it by hand it stops spinning as soon as you stop turning. Like I said, no play what-so-ever, and no odd noises, just stiff(would be the best way to describe).

Please advise

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Incorrect. Should almost stop immediately but feel smooth throughout its travel.
okay cool thats how this one feels. Well, what the %$# is causing my squeak in the am then?????

Everything spun smooth, no strange noises. Belt is in great shape...
Oh well, guess i'm living with it.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Incorrect. Should almost stop immediately but feel smooth throughout its travel.
Correct. When you buy Brand new pulleys, as soon as you spin it, it'll stop immediately.

If however you can spin your pulley and make it spin more then 4-6 revolutions, its toast.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
^^ Yup. I love how people chime in with BS advice as if they know what they are talking about. Blocked out is correct: pulleys in good condition will stop very shortly after you spin them by hand. New pulleys will stop immediately. Natural friction of the grease inside the bearing caps are what slows down rotation. If you're getting a squeak at startup, i'd take a look at your water pump to make sure its not leaking onto the belts. If no leaks, then it could be your actual tensioners (not pulleys) that are failing. Those are somewhat of an involved job, but still not too bad for a DIY.

Also if you've played with the belts at all recently, make sure the belts are routed CORRECTLY. The smooth side of the belt should be in contact with the deflection pulley--NOT the ribbed side. All ribbed sides should only be in contact with the grooves on any of the main pulleys.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ Yup. I love how people chime in with BS advice as if they know what they are talking about. Blocked out is correct: pulleys in good condition will stop very shortly after you spin them by hand. New pulleys will stop immediately. Natural friction of the grease inside the bearing caps are what slows down rotation. If you're getting a squeak at startup, i'd take a look at your water pump to make sure its not leaking onto the belts. If no leaks, then it could be your actual tensioners (not pulleys) that are failing. Those are somewhat of an involved job, but still not too bad for a DIY.

Also if you've played with the belts at all recently, make sure the belts are routed CORRECTLY. The smooth side of the belt should be in contact with the deflection pulley--NOT the ribbed side. All ribbed sides should only be in contact with the grooves on any of the main pulleys.
Got it all back together and routed properly. Cleaned up some of the rust off of the pulley bolts(not that it should matter), and started the car.

To my surprise...no noise? I guess tomorrow morning will be the deciding factor now. Going to take the family up to the mall in it now just to make sure everything is a-ok before driving to work tom(mall is worst case walking distance from house).

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Have you put any belt dressing on your serpentine belts? If so, go buy another set of belts, and toss the dressing in the trash. You should never (NOT EVER) (NOT IN THIS LIFETIME) spray any belt dressing on a serpentine belt.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Just a heads up:
Secondary causes of "squeaks" -
Make sure to double check for fluid leaks (either dripping/squirting fluids) onto the belt or pulleys.
Sometimes the oil filter or power steering reservoir is damaged/failing/leaking minor fluids onto/near the area causing squeaks and then gets spun-dry or is evaporated by the engine heat.

Makes sure you don't have other issues. Just saying...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No fluids are dripping, no coolant leaks. Belt dressing?? yeah right.... Only thing i'd ever do to quiet a belt is to run a crayon on the underside, even that is very temporary.

Belts were soft, not hardened/cracked, and had a date from august of 2009 on them. The idler pulley looked/felt brand new, and the hydrolic tensioner pulley did not have excessive spin or play to it. Only thing that was weird, is that the power steering pump felt funny when I spun it. Almost like it had gears that would only engage if spun one direction. Power steering is working fine though, no leaks/noises etc.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, can't think of anything else that can cause the noises then...

Good luck and hope the noises are resolved.

Thanks buddy. I do greatly appreciate the quick responses and efforts to help. Car passed the test drive to the mall with flying colors, all seems to be in great shape.

Now trying to figure out if I want to spend the 175.00 on t-stat, water pump, and hoses as prevenative maintenance, or roll the dice and just replace when it fails. decisions decisions....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts