BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a powerful sound system and decided to keep my Stock Battery. Its given me nothing but trouble, once i turn on the amp after 5 or so minutes of driving and I turn off the car it wont turn on. My car is a 2000 model with close to 35k on it. I did reseach and it seems to be common but that common? Also when I turn the car off to if anything was draining my battery it was at 2 amps so something in my car is draining my battery with my car off. I'm in the process of buying a Optium Yellow Top battery but anybody have any suggestions of what i should do? Should I take it to the dealership or anything?

·
Resident CF Whore
2,810 Posts
NO!!!
Do not take it to the dealer.
My car is still supposedly under "warranty."
However, I installed a sound system and aftermarket alarm system, the dealer said it was those two that was draining the battery.
The first time it got drained... I had to jump start it.
The second time, I took it to the dealer to find out what was wrong.
All they did was jump start the car and said that it was my aftermarket electronics that was draining the battery (something I already knew).
They charged me $120 for that crap and they didn't even fix it.
I don't think you'd want to pay $120 for them to tell you something you already knew and not fix the problem.

I will be getting optima soon too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
The BMW battery sucks a big one. My car dies if I let it sit for more than three days w/o driving it. First they said it was my aftermarket amp but their tests prove otherwise. Then they said that batery had a bad cell. They changed the battery but it still happens.

·
booo for body roll.
3,423 Posts
you connected ur amp so it cuts off when u take ur keys out, right? if not then ur amp is just drainin power from the battery continuously. IMO the bmw battery will suffice. the only downside is that it weighs like 50+lbs

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
994 Posts
I'm running 1000 watts to my stock battery and I haven't had as much as a light flicker.

On another note, what size (model #) optima fits our car. I actually would like a red top though.

·
Site Sponsor
18,508 Posts
The BMW battery is made by Douglas.
If you want to find one that has more CCA or more charge ask Douglas directly what batteries would be more appropriate.

Interstate Batteries are decent, as is the Ultima red top.

·
Registered
225 Posts
hm..well i have an after market system also and i haven't gotten that much problems with it. i had the system for a year now. hmm some tips is maybe when you are about to turn on ur car turn off anything electrical like ur radio, a/c and stuff like that so it does the put stress on ur alternator. some of you guys might be having problems right but even after u replace it you might still have problems because you over worked the alternator. so yah keep that in mind.

·
Registered
726 Posts
it sux...had to have mine replaced twice and the car is only 2 months old....something is fishy about that

·
www.piratecove.org
3,706 Posts
a my2000 with 35k...damn, dont get out much huh?

*has 60k on his 2000*

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aight I took that battery out and checked its light thing to see its status and it said sufficently charged, but i still put in my Optium Yellow Top D34/78 (Cost 180 dollars from autozone, you can get it cheaper over the internet but i'm not waiting 5 days) and I bumped the music with car not on and then turned it immediatly off and in the morning i turned it on and it was a clean start so hopefully its just this stupid stock battery we'll see...
a my2000 with 35k...damn, dont get out much huh?
Hahah I just turned 17 and my car will get out in due time actually my car is used when i bought it almost 9 months ago it had 28k on it as off right now it has 32200 :rolleyes: I do need to get out more but this damn soundsystem costed me a grip and a whole lot of time, plus the females in san fran if u arent asian arent that plentiful :banghead:

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,528 Posts
DUH I4GOT said:
The BMW battery sucks a big one. My car dies if I let it sit for more than three days w/o driving it. First they said it was my aftermarket amp but their tests prove otherwise. Then they said that batery had a bad cell. They changed the battery but it still happens.
Sounds like you might have that climate control bug that a lot of guys posted about?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts