BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
182 Posts
This is extremely dangerous. Spend the money on jack stands, not subframe bushings. They are likely fine and we don’t want you to get crushed
i always work on the car safely. I have two big blocks of wood I use as jack stands, believe me, they are safe. I don't like to be under the car, but I have to, so I always make sure it is safely supported and put two wheels under the car for extra safety.
Thanks for the advice, I always tell everybody the same.

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
182 Posts
There is room for a subframe tool, but the shape of the tops of the bushings are irregular, making a standard bushing press not work.
I know the shape of the top of the mounts, I think I can make the press tool with that shape.
My concern is if its room for it, how much can I lower the subframe and if lowering it just from two mounts will do any harm to the others or the bolts.
Thanks, appreciate your answer.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,484 Posts
i always work on the car safely. I have two big blocks of wood I use as jack stands, believe me, they are safe. I don't like to be under the car, but I have to, so I always make sure it is safely supported and put two wheels under the car for extra safety.
Thanks for the advice, I always tell everybody the same.
Didn't mean to come across as a scold. Just don't want anybody hurt!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well I do not remember now, but I doubt it is doable without removing subframe, maybe someone who did it recently could clarify. Diff bushes you can change without touching subframe though, just drop differential.
Also, I never did anything on jack stands, renting lift when I need to work under the car. It is much easier this way, so I cannot suggest as I have no such experience.
I recently replaced all the subframe bushes with original type bushes,i took photos as some have elongated holes and i wanted all parts back as fitted originally.I did them in my front room with lots of space etc,i have done bushes before so i knew what i was doing it took 10 hours in total! Yup no way i would attempt it any other way.PS i bought another diff carrier and did all the work on it to save on down time and it took the garage a whole day (8 hours) to swap it with 5 broken bolts in the process.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 765 K km
1,528 Posts
I recently replaced all the subframe bushes with original type bushes,i took photos as some have elongated holes and i wanted all parts back as fitted originally.I did them in my front room with lots of space etc,i have done bushes before so i knew what i was doing it took 10 hours in total! Yup no way i would attempt it any other way.PS i bought another diff carrier and did all the work on it to save on down time and it took the garage a whole day (8 hours) to swap it with 5 broken bolts in the process.
Did you work on subframe bushes only or you also replaced suspension ones as well? Can you feel obvious difference?
What was condition of subframe bushes? What mileage you had on them? Just to have a picture if they really ever needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I replaced all the rear bushes including the trailing arms,most of the bushes looked ok but were noticably softer but no cracks.the worst ones i found were the trailing arms,the lower outer arm bushes and the 2 diff bushes.The main diff bush was poly which i replaced.i can say there is a difference,no clunking when pulling away and a more solid feel.the difference is not much otherwise.the car had about 215kmiles on it.Another reason was surface rust around the diff carrier area and that definately needed attention.Its a lot of work and not a huge handling improvement but i think it was worth it and needed.

·
Registered
2005 325i Auto
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Not looking forward to this.

I love motors, sensors, fluids, gaskets etc. Can't stand working on suspension. Those diff bushes look like a bit of a bear to get at.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 765 K km
1,528 Posts
I replaced all the rear bushes including the trailing arms,most of the bushes looked ok but were noticably softer but no cracks.the worst ones i found were the trailing arms,the lower outer arm bushes and the 2 diff bushes.The main diff bush was poly which i replaced.i can say there is a difference,no clunking when pulling away and a more solid feel.the difference is not much otherwise.the car had about 215kmiles on it.Another reason was surface rust around the diff carrier area and that definately needed attention.Its a lot of work and not a huge handling improvement but i think it was worth it and needed.
Thank you, i just wanted to compare impressions.
what I remember is when I replaced subframe bushes on 300k km, they looked pretty much as new. So I doubt there is necessity of such work, unless there is another reason to remove subframe (and I see no any neutral scenarios for that).

·
Registered
493 Posts
In my case the main reason was the amount of suface rust on the diff carrier and above it on the bodywork,so to do it properly i did everything to keep me and the government testers (mot test) happy it cost a bit around £800 parts and labour,but at least its all done. As you said
doubt there is necessity of such work, unless there is another reason to remove subframe

41 - 50 of 50 Posts