BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it on my stock 18" wheels on my ZHP but have had no experience with them. Should I get an all season tire?

·
Registered
497 Posts
they worked OK for me. On the freeway I traveled at about 55-70 depending on the intensity of rain and no hydroplaning.

I was also effing around on angeles crest when it started snowing...I was just careful, and I got out OK.

You should be aight as long as you dont do stupid sh1t. Just don't get carried away in the rain, like I did, and try to burn out every chance you get...these tires are expensive to replace.

btw, I am running on PS2's right now, and they STICK during summer months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they worked OK for me. On the freeway I traveled at about 55-70 depending on the intensity of rain and no hydroplaning.

I was also effing around on angeles crest when it started snowing...I was just careful, and I got out OK.

You should be aight as long as you dont do stupid sh1t. Just don't get carried away in the rain, like I did, and try to burn out every chance you get...these tires are expensive to replace.

btw, I am running on PS2's right now, and they STICK during summer months.
Thanks MMT that's good to know. Though it snows occassionally here in the DC area, its just the pain in the butt to keep changing tires. I also find snow tires quite whimpy IMO

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
There's no substitute for dedicated snow tires. I thought I could get by on all seasons on my stock 16's and boy was I wrong... $10,000 and a snapped driveshaft later, I learned my lesson. Just invest $400 in a cheap set of winter wheels & tires and throw them on the car on the first day it snows, you'll be worry free until spring.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ran PS1 all last winter. I thought they were fine in the dry and OK in the wet, although they were very hard below 40 degrees, and consequently the rear end would step out quite easily under power. On some levels, it was more fun than having them stick all summer. However, snow is an entirely different story.

Now, I lived in Cleveland for five years, and drove my Honda Civic through quite a few lake-effect snowstorms with very cheap, worn all-season tires. I always prided myself on being very good in the snow, and I actually enjoyed the challenge - trying to beat idiot-piloted 4x4 SUVs after uphill stoplights, e-brake parking lot hoonery etc.

So when I got the BMW, I figured traction/stability control + ability to drive in the snow = OK those few days a year I needed to drive on snowpack. So the first day in December we got 6 inches of fresh snow, I decided to head to the grocery store and try the Bimmer out.

I quickly discovered that with traction control, ANY attempt at acceleration cut power to the engine, applied ABS and relegated me to starting off at a snail's pace (when in the Civic, I'd just modulate the wheelspin and get moving). Once I got going, any attempt at steering resulted in a four-wheel drift with the stability control going crazy trying to control it. And using the brakes resulted quite a bit of ABS chatter, but almost no actual 'slowing'.

I made it to the store and back, but at one point I slid sideways across three lanes (probably under 10 MPH) when making a left turn, and was only slowed when I moved sideways into the deeper stuff. The car was more predictable with DSC off.

Fortunately, I had not yet sold my Civic, and I was able to make the decision to keep it until spring. I also worked at a car dealership, so I had access to 4x4 trade-ins whenever I thought I might need one the rest of the winter.

This winter I got a set of snow tires and rims, and the PS2s are in the attic.

If it only snows 2-3 days a year where you are, and if the roads are cleared within a few hours, I'd say you'll be fine running the Pilots all winter - just be wary that you're on rock-hard tires, and your handling limits will be lower than you might expect. Most all-seasons, especially those with a sporting character, aren't really going to be all that much better, so those wouldn't be worth the investment. But get a cab, borrow something else etc. if you plan on taking it onto unplowed or snowpacked roads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent inputs. Thanks guys. I'll probably work something out with my wife and take her X5 on heavy snowdays.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I guess winter tires/wheels depends on how much maybe $1,000 is worth to you.

Is it worth stressing out on a slippery surface knowing you could have done something to make the situation better?
Is it worth the time, money, legal hassle if something happens?
Will you get fined if pulled over in the snow and you are running on summers?

My buddy who has an Audi TT Quattro was on all seasons when we had a freak snow storm. I just put my winter tires on a few hours before since I knew the forecast. On the way home he followed me. Some driver opposing us going uphill span her car out and blocked half of our lane. We were going downhill very slowly and I just turned around the spun out vehicle without a problem. We were both on handsfree and gave my buddy plenty of warning but he told me he has lost traction already by , "Oh fack" over the phone. I pulled into a street and watched silently then I heard the crunch as his vehicle slammed into the spun out vehicle. Other vehicles behind narrowly missed him since he was fully blocking a lane. He mounted winters within the next few days of crashing at a much higher cost than me.

My motto is pay now, or pay later.

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,478 Posts
Plainly put, trying to drive on high performance summer tires like those in any kind of slush/sleet/snow is flat out dangerous.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you guys are right. I'll probably invest some money and buy winter tires/wheels combo. This is a good forum thanks to you guys (tons of info):thumbsup:

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,478 Posts
you guys think snow tires are enough to take the car to the mountains/skiing? or should i rent a 4x4 SUV for what?
Unless conditions are truly treacherous, you should be fine. But if it is really dumping and you're going to have to deal with winding canyons, etc., I'd possibly reconsider.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
I have it on my stock 18" wheels on my ZHP but have had no experience with them. Should I get an all season tire?
well you are in northern VA..... so you don't really have to worry about snow that much... no?

if possible, i would say to go with a cheap all season tire......... you most likely won't need snow tires

but with max performance summer tires..... they are not meant for 40 degree temperature....... they perform horrible and that temperature is probably horrible for the tire compound as well

you can get someone cheap tires just to get you through....... i just winter blizzacks for $791.... so i'm sure you could get a cheaper all season tire for a couple hundred less

besides........ would you rather a cheap all season wear down during the cold months, or would you rather it be your MORE EXPENSIVE michelin pilots?

·
Registered
169 Posts
45 ambient and PS2's are lacking grip, PS1's are worse. Throw in some rain and it's just stupid. <45 ambient PS's provide less grip than Winter performance tires. Dunlop M2/M3/3D beat PS2's performance up to about 50 degrees before they go greasy. I'm actually happy I have the winters on now that it's cold. Much better performance.

btw if your spinning and dsc is bogging down, turn stage one off and engine throttling will be limited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Any suggestions on good performing all season tires? Russo, we don't get as much snow as you guys do in RI but here in DC, 1 to 2 inches is already a no-school event.LOL I guess the main concern for these Michelins are the performance on temps below 40 deg.

·
Registered
18,541 Posts
Any suggestions on good performing all season tires?
contact [email protected]

you WILL NOT find any better prices
and you WILL NOT get any better customer service than him

just check on tirerack and see what they have.... if you put your car in, the sizes for all season will come up automatically.... if you see something in your price range, post'em up on this forum and i'm sure someone will have some feedback for you.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had brand new PS2's last winter, I think they are USELESS in the snow. I live in NH though, we get plenty on snow here. If there is snow on the ground my car stays in the driveway now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

I replaced the original Good Years with these at 36k. Best tires I have ever owned. Not the best in deep snow, but they will get you home. Great in the dry and rain.

·
Banned
1,507 Posts
I think you guys are right. I'll probably invest some money and buy winter tires/wheels combo. This is a good forum thanks to you guys (tons of info):thumbsup:
Good idea. I live in NJ and yeaaaa, thats all i gotta say about that
16" oem + dunlop winter sport 3d = My winter setup

Any suggestions on good performing all season tires? Russo, we don't get as much snow as you guys do in RI but here in DC, 1 to 2 inches is already a no-school event.LOL I guess the main concern for these Michelins are the performance on temps below 40 deg.
PS2's is a no no for winter. Period! :tsk:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts