·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The M3 engine is faster.

·
name's PHIL
6,165 Posts
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: .................what do u mean man

r u talking handling wise, performance........anyways, cant compare a regualar 3 series to an M series..........u just CANT bro

·
Registered
210 Posts
Kain said:
Dude, that's like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ferrari Enzo! There is no comparison!
Well, I wouldn't go that far! But there is a sizable difference in handling, poise, fun, and obviously speed. More than you might think on paper.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
i say it is

i little bit faster and it handles a little bit better

i don't know what the 0 to 60 time is for a 330 but a m3 is
for a couple it is 0-60 in 4.8 seconds
a cov. it is 0 to 60 1n 5.2

and the handling is more tighter than a 330 that is a good why of putting it. if you put in sway bars and cross braces front and back i thing you can get very close to the handling i think in the 330
and if you put in a s/c you will be very close to the speed facter to
i think. but that is my two cents on that subject.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
first thing you will notice...nice THICK sterring wheel that just forms to your hand

then SPORT MODE...hang on!

then whipping around turns much faster

and then you will notice that annoying tin can exhaust.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Having autoxed both I would have to say that the main difference is the engine. The M3 had me "lost" on course not looking far enough ahead to keep on a good line. I cannot overstate just how much faster it was in this respect. I have frequently beaten stock E46 M3s in my stock 330 at AutoX but driving the M3 well is something else. Handling wise M3 (stock) has the same problem that the 330 does with lack of negative camber up front. This makes it push/understeer all too easily. Also both cars weigh too much to be perfect in my opinion. Loosing about 300lbs would be a good start.

I have to say that I hate the rasp.

Also I have only driven the 6sp M3.

I think the M3 is worth the extra $ if you can afford it and can stand a 2 door.

·
Registered
210 Posts
BahnBorn330i said:
Having autoxed both I would have to say that the main difference is the engine. The M3 had me "lost" on course not looking far enough ahead to keep on a good line. I cannot overstate just how much faster it was in this respect. I have frequently beaten stock E46 M3s in my stock 330 at AutoX but driving the M3 well is something else. Handling wise M3 (stock) has the same problem that the 330 does with lack of negative camber up front. This makes it push/understeer all too easily. Also both cars weigh too much to be perfect in my opinion. Loosing about 300lbs would be a good start.

I have to say that I hate the rasp.

Also I have only driven the 6sp M3.

I think the M3 is worth the extra $ if you can afford it and can stand a 2 door.
I would agree with all that, but I would add that on a road track or any higher speed twisties, the M3 is an awesome car, even bone stock. And definitely a cut above the 330. AutoX is probably not the best situation to appreciate the M3.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Aside from stiffer suspension, the biggest difference is when you step on the gas pedal. The m3, at about any rpm over 2,000 will throw you back in the seat. The 330ci doesn't have the same "power on demand" that the m3 does. Thats not to say the 330ci is slow, I drove one on the highway and from 60 and stepping on it, it was doing 85 before I knew it. But it seemed much more like a S500 accellerating, less sense of speed.

Here's my advice: DO NOT drive the m3 first. Test drive the 330ci, if you are happy with it and content, then by all means, if its in your budget, go for it. If you drive the m3 first like I did and then drive the 330ci, you will be disappointed and not want the 330 at all.

·
933 Posts
I have owned a 330CI and now own an E46 M3.

They are truly different cars. The biggest difference is PERFORMANCE (HP) and the throttle sensitivity. The M3 w/ it's 8KRPM redline is just so SWEET..

·
933 Posts
GeoMystic said:
The M3 engine is faster.
No.. the engine does not move outside the car so it's not fast or slow.. it's stationary.

The M3 engine is more powerful and the CAR is faster.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mattman said:

No.. the engine does not move outside the car so it's not fast or slow.. it's stationary.

wow is it just me or is this guy ridiculous, U DO NOT HAVE TO ANALYZE EVERY WORD U READ MY FRIEND, this isn't science class and we arn't discussing potential energy lol, give the man a break, EVERYBODY REPEAT: THE M3 engine is FASTER than the 330

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
mattman said:

hey genius...the engine IS faster, cuz the cams, rods, valves, and everything else is spinning and working MUCH faster. but if you want to get picky....the CAR isnt really moving faster....the WHEELS are.:lmao: :flipoff:

·
Registered
292 Posts
HardBMW said:

wow is it just me or is this guy ridiculous, U DO NOT HAVE TO ANALYZE EVERY WORD U READ MY FRIEND, this isn't science class and we arn't discussing potential energy lol, give the man a break, EVERYBODY REPEAT: THE M3 engine is FASTER than the 330
He was just kidding around I'm pretty sure.

I agree though, the M3 engine is faster, smarter, and more handsome as well.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts