E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
wow guess what im gonna do to my 330i now lol

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
was the m3 owner taking naps between gears?
Yes, he would have still lost it but if you are going to race, LEARN TO SHIFT!!!

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
He was shifting slowly because his bushing are probably pretty worn out, and taking time between shifts is the smoothest way to shift.

Also, OP, where is OE tunning? I saw the article on bimmerboost last night and was impressed. Something I would definitely look into. Can you shed some light on price and everything?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Not sure what this is about... racing stock e36 m3 does not proove anything. Those cars take NA modifications reallllyy well.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not sure what this is about... racing stock e36 m3 does not proove anything. Those cars take NA modifications reallllyy well.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
you're not sure what this is about because you probably are a noob and haven't read about the drama about my tune. Basically people were saying its bs and that i should ****. The E36 M3 is a very strong car out of the box and destroys a completely stock 330 in a drag race out of the box. It's geared nicely, 60-110 lbs lighter and has more hp/tq out of the box. It just pulls and pulls and pulls especially with the 330's stock 2.93 gears, extra weight, and less power and torque. This also shows what effect these mods have. Don't be a doofus

He was shifting slowly because his bushing are probably pretty worn out, and taking time between shifts is the smoothest way to shift.

Also, OP, where is OE tunning? I saw the article on bimmerboost last night and was impressed. Something I would definitely look into. Can you shed some light on price and everything?
A flash is around $600 or so if I'm not mistaken. OEtuning is in van nuys, ca. oetuning.com

Shifting speed also has nothing to do with bushings. He was shifting fast--i know his shifting technique, but his car still has the stock clutch delay valve which causes slight slippage during upshifts. This wouldn't have accounted for barely any slack, if any at all as you can clearly see the acceleration difference once the car is in gear. Also note that 1) I have the same transmission, 2) I'm no shifting superstar either and 3) I have the same CDV installed.

was the m3 owner taking naps between gears?
Yes, he would have still lost it but if you are going to race, LEARN TO SHIFT!!!
CDV. Read about it.

US spec e36 M3 sucks. EU spec E36 M3 has 320 hp. I would like to see that vs this e46 330i :)
No sh!t it would have won. "E36 M3 sucks"--how old are you? 12?

wow, the m3 didn't stand a chance

i'm pretty sure my 330ci is faster than the old m3. People may complain that it dosn't have enough "feel" but the e46 is a better car in every way. the premium 3 series is always a pretty even match for the previous gen's m3.
The E36 M3 is clearly the superior performance car--I should know, I used to own one. And unless your 330ci is modded, it is getting its ass handed to it by a healthy stock E36 M3. no two ways about it.

I just read your sig--is your car s/c'ed? then yes of course it would beat a stock e36 m3.. and probably an e46 m3.. and a lot of cars ;)

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
About the shifting:
Southpaw himself admitted that in his M3, I can shift ridiculously faster than him. Even though it may seem fast, worn out bushings have a severe impact in how fast you can shift.

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
About the shifting:
Southpaw himself admitted that in his M3, I can shift ridiculously faster than him. Even though it may seem fast, worn out bushings have a severe impact in how fast you can shift.
No, not really. The main difference is feel. I've driven his M3--the bushings are fine. Also bushings cause barely any slack in our S5D 320Z ZF 5-speed transmission, the 5th gear detent pins are usually the culprit for any slack. Any gains by replaced bushings are usually negligible unless the car is a 20-year old pile of sh!t. I've rebuilt quite a few shifter assembly bushings/washers/cups and experienced hardly any increase in feel or reduced slack--YMMV

My bushings (by the way, there's only really one--maybe two bushings in the shift carrier assembly) are completely stock as well and to my knowledge have never been changed. Food for thought.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
The E36 M3 is a very strong car out of the box and destroys a completely stock 330 in a drag race out of the box.
This my friend, you are way off with... i raced them before... head to head dead on match on the highway... i didn't have a passenger, the other person did.

Now in an official "drag" race, no doubt the m3 should have the edge... but there is no "destroying" going on ;)

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You probably raced an M3 with a broken vanos. So you're telling me a 330 with 15 less hp and 21 less tq, the same 5-speed transmission, 60-110 lbs additional weight, and 2.93 rear end (vs the M3's 3.23 rear end) is going to run even with a stock E36 M3?

LOLOL. Right. Delusional, r!cer statement, or just plain ignorant--probably all three. :tsk:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts