BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can reset the CEL with a Peak Scanner but I don't have one right now. I've searched too but all I can find is how to reset the oil service check. Autozone would read it bt they won't reset it, at least in Oregon? Is there a way to do it? A sequence, shorting a couple of pins or something? Also I know what the code is and it's fixed. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... Have what? The CEL on? I have it right now...

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
You are mixing up the "Check Engine Light" and "Service Inspection" message. I cannot tell what you are talking about or what you need help with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant that all I could find was how to reset the service inspection. I want to reset the Check Engine Light/Service Engine Soon. Clear it so that it doesn't show up on the instrument cluster anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far though...

·
Registered
33,143 Posts
Ahh, for the SES/CEL you need to plug it into a code reader and clear the codes. The service inspection message can be reset with the button on the instrument cluster, but SES/CEL require a scanner/computer to clear them. So you will either need to have the people at autozone clear the codes, have an independent mechanic clear the codes, or buy a Peake code tool and use that to clear the codes.

To my knowledge there is no pin-shorting method to clear a SES/CEL.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ummm, I have the same issue... Any thoughts on just disconnecting the battery for 20-30 minutes and "re-booting" the car? I am throwing an MAF code... I have cleaned it and want to figure out if I am ok now.

Sorry for the highjack, but could a K&N filter be causing the MAF code?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Ummm, I have the same issue... Any thoughts on just disconnecting the battery for 20-30 minutes and "re-booting" the car? I am throwing an MAF code... I have cleaned it and want to figure out if I am ok now.

It can be the cause of the maf going bad , but it wont make you see the code directly.

As for op : get a ELM327 and some odb software and use your laptop to see / clear codes . it's awesome !

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If the problem causing the CEL has been corrected, the light will go out after a number of starting cycles. Some go out after 30 (I think), some require more cycles to clear.

·
Registered
20,209 Posts
unplug ur battery for 20 min to an hour.

it will clear it but if whatever is kicking it on is still causing issues, it will come back on soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
unplug ur battery for 20 min to an hour.

it will clear it but if whatever is kicking it on is still causing issues, it will come back on soon.
Tryed this...did not clear the codes... Also, removed the MAF and cleaned with MAF cleaner. I will drive it for a couple weeks and see if the codes clear themselves or if I need a new MAF...

·
Registered
74 Posts

I have the K & N CAI mine has worked great, I heard the oil in the filter might adheare to the MAF, clean it you'll be good.

I'm thinking about buying an AFE dry filter, I'm checking to see if the end fitment is the same size.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ or go to adavanced auto

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If the ses light is bothering you, just open the cluster and stick a black tape over it.

Kidding of course. Every time the ses is on, you want to know why. Buy a scanner, bring it to aurozone, to a mechanic, whatever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Disconnecting the battery won't work even if the issue is fixed, I did it. Also I found out that at Autozone they used to do it a long time ago but not anymore because of liability issues with the DEQ/DMV testing or whatever. What they told me though is that you can go to Autozone, put $150 as deposit on your credit card and they will lend you the scanner! I used it for 15 mins and then returned it, you get the deposit back so it is completely FREE. My codes are cleared and the CEL is gone!

Unfortunately after a day the CEL came back... I replaced the lower and upper intake boot, cleaned ICV and DISA and didn't help, issue is still there. I'll have to take it to the mechanic on Monday as it can be a number of things, I don't have a smoke machine to test for vacuum leaks, etc... I had codes P1188, P1189, P0170 just FYI.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts