BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what paint did you guys use and what is involved in recalibrating needles...im going to buy nr guages since needles dont need to be removed....but if painting them is an easy diy...im doin it...thanks...Matt

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no way....that easy huh? does everyone agree with potpie here? no offense potpie...but that is almost too easy to be true.....did you do it okay with needles still in...sounds like a piece of cake...thanks for the advice...Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
i wouldnt do it with sharpie, eventually the heat will wear it off and the ink will dry uneavenly making it look shetty with lights shining through.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Potpie is correct. It is easy as hell.
I sharpied mine with no problem.

·
E46 FANATIK
527 Posts
yeah i heard a red sharpie works well.

kinda off topic...i read the DIY for the NR's, exactly how do the gauges go on without removing the needles?

·
Invalid User
10,911 Posts
fonzer said:

kinda off topic...i read the DIY for the NR's, exactly how do the gauges go on without removing the needles?
i've been wondering the same thing. :dunno: anyone ??

·
Alpha Male
7,152 Posts
Take a red sharpie and with 1 smooth motion drag the tip along the top end of the needle WITHOUT stopping to ensure a smooth finish with no blotches.

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
fonzer said:

The center hole for the silver gauges is wide enough to slip over the needles. Its very tight, but it DOES fit. Just make sure you dont put a fold into the gauges. My suggestion would be to tape down the new gauges onto the older face, but only in the areas that wont be seen. You will know what I mean. More likely, you going to misalign the gauges the first time, cut it wont illuminate correctly. Just be patient.

Suggestion also: Place a soft cloth on your steering column when removing the MotoMeter, so your display doesnt get all scratched up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts