BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Loves cookies
1,821 Posts
It starts to slip on a regular basis and you can smell it after slipping due to its wear. It is coverd under the bmw 3yr/ 36K service warranty if though some dealers deny it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When the clutch is worn out, you cannot accelerate as usual... The car just feels heavy and lazy. I think it's covered in the warranty...

·
Registered
412 Posts
From what I've heard it's only covered under the maintenance warrenty, if that. There's also a slight chance you could get it replaced under the clutch popping TSB.

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,051 Posts
Also, it's possible that the clutch could be glazed. It will feel like it's slipping and you won't be able to lay tire or chirp the tires and if you try, you will certainly smell the clutch.

When shifting hard from first to second it will certainly feel like it's not catching, but slipping. If the clutch is glazed, 100-200 miles of normal driving will fix this problem. I've glazed my clutch twice in two years. Each time, it has gone back to normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
to determine if your clutch is slipping, go in a parking lot and get your car up to a low speed, then engage 5th gear. your car will either keep moving forward sluggishly or your rpms will shoot straight up. if the rpms shoot up, then your clutch is not grabbing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts