BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<b>The Question:</b> <i>How does one bend 12 valves within 6 cylinders in a 2001 BMW 330Ci engine with only 70,000km on the odometer?</i>

<b>BMW dealership answer:</b> From redlining the gears and downshifting too fast.

<b><u>My Question:</u></b> WTF Is BMW smoking? The car has been driven perfectly, and all of a sudden the engine starts to drive rough. BMW 30 hrs later claims 12 valves are bent. How the hell can that happen?!?!

·
Banned
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the question was hypothetical. I know how to drive, any idiot knows not to go from 4-2

·
Bimmerless
1,845 Posts
so are they refusing warranty work? if so, i think costco sells brake fluid by the barrel. cover every damn car in their lot with the stuff, good bye paint

·
Mod Squad
10,081 Posts
Correction everyone knows not to go from 4-2 at like 80 MPH. 4-2 is fine as long as the speed your traveling isn't greater than what second gear is capable of. Yeah I'm kinda being a smart ass. I hope this isn't your car we're talking about is it? If so, sorry to hear :sad:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
Only way to bend valves is an over rev unless something major went wrong with the valve train, which would be obvious.

Tim

·
OO[][]OO
525 Posts
just curious (as we are talking on that subject) :

- how can you tell if the valves are bent - (or have been bent even slightly from previous owner (just for example if you are second owner) ) ........ does the car shakes, misfire, can not be started how can you find out ?

thx

·
Banned
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, this is my car we're talking about. My car which I treat better than all my girlfriends. The same car that I only added 2000 km on it since I bought it.

At first the ****ers told me the running rough was due to a fuel filter. So I bought a BMW one, and changed it. Problem was still there, so I changed the spark plugs and injectors. Still a problem. Gave it to BMW, and they replaced the coil pack. Same problem. Then they tell me it's the head gasket, and they will cover under warrenty. Well, now they said it's the valves and 12 are bent and it's my fault. **** YOU BMW! You made the lemon, I didn't do ****. I know how to drive perfectly fine.

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,326 Posts
redlining adds stress to your engine. the redline is there to tell the operator of the motor vehicle that your over-working the engine. Duh. Im sorry to hear 'bout your problem at the dealers and unless they show proof that you over rev'd it. Fight it.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
Please search on "money shift", you will find many other people in your situation that didn't realize what they did. There is actually a post title “I got a lemon” where the guy mis-shifted as well.

I am also going to have to pull a teamdfl count down. This one is a count down until someone asks why the rev limiter didn't stop the car from over revving.

Counting down

HAHAHAHAHA

Anyways back on topic, take your car to an independent shop and have them do the work. Might as well consider some motor upgrades as well.

Tim

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
MachRc said:
redlining adds stress to your engine. the redline is there to tell the operator of the motor vehicle that your over-working the engine. Duh. Im sorry to hear 'bout your problem at the dealers and unless they show proof that you over rev'd it. Fight it.
The dealer would show you the bent valves as proof.

Tim

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,326 Posts
aiya pwn'd by the stealers.

·
Banned
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I never over revved the engine though. I know what the car can handle, and thus I never drove it hard. It was my baby. And one morning when I started it, it put on the engine light automatically. Since then, thats the problems...

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,759 Posts
I am not trying to be a pain but if you didn't over rev then there is something else mechanically wrong with your car which there should be proof of. Did you search for details?

Tim

1 - 20 of 41 Posts