E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I would like to try to paint my wooden interior trim to silver. Anyone know of any guides, threads, or videos, that can show me what i need to do, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh please don't paint it silver. I have a feeling that it's gonna look terrible, especially because metallic spray paint tends to look horrid. I'd say go for matte (or gloss) black or a dark grey. I'll :search: for a guide for you...

EDIT: DILLA's 'silver' (which looks like grey) looks good, but I'd still personally go for a matte black.

·
Registered
0 Posts
3M Di-Noc Silver CF is like $50 on ebay and it's laser cut to fit.

If you like vinyl try http://www.metrorestyling.com/

Beacon Graphics 3d Vector CF looks like fake cube at Autozone. Metro is more like Di-Noc with texture, they sell 3M and other brands and solids, I think they have matte silver, they have all the new stuff and are competitive with Evilbay. Metro doesn't have chrome & white gold car wraps yet, only UK has those now.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The coupe trim on the door panels is a PITA to take apart. It's also a PITA to go through all the trouble of sanding through that thick lacquer on every trim piece and then painting all of them. Honestly, I'd say just buy new trim pieces the sell your old ones. When all is said and done, you should come out to less than $200 for a trim color you like. An investment that is worth it IMO

·
/// Limitless
3,287 Posts
There are three things you need to do to get a quality job from this:
  1. Sand and prep until it look perfect, using filler where necessary to remove any nicks or splits.
  2. Seal the surface with a sanding sealer where you took the finish down to wood, then re-sand and make certain that the surface is no longer porus.
  3. Use a high quality polyurethane or acrylic enamel made for autos, painted at at least 65 degrees ambient temerature or the paint won't flow correctly.
I used a Dupli-Color "Charcoal Grey Metallic". It came out looking factory. The metallic in it glows in the sunlight but the paints surface looks satin and not shiney.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts