BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmm: I am trying to install the umbrella & holder into the passenger foot well in my 2005 325ci, but i don't see any way to get the plastic screws into the carpet... If anyone know's what i'm talking about any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
478 Posts
overkil166 said:
:hmm: I am trying to install the umbrella & holder into the passenger foot well in my 2005 325ci, but i don't see any way to get the plastic screws into the carpet... If anyone know's what i'm talking about any help would be appreciated
I think Terry Kennedy installed it in his Touring. Where did you get the umbrella and how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the umbrella and holder from Garlyn Shelton BMW in College Station, TX.... I'm not sure how much it cost; when i picked up my car from them they gave me a gift certificate to pick up some items from the BMW catalogs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
overkil166 said:
i used a nail set punch, it looks like a screw driver but has a point on the end like an ice-pick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm digging up this old thread to update it with my experience, for anyone who may be searching for the answer in the future. This was my experience installing the BMW umbrella and holder (part 51-47-0-306-529 / 51470306529)...

I installed it exactly according to the instructions, using the plastic screws provided. The first time I tried to remove the umbrella from the holder, the holder held the umbrella so tightly that the plastic screw heads snapped clean off... leaving me with an umbrella-in-holder in my hand and a frown on my face. I removed the severed threads from the carpeting with needle nose pliers and set about a better solution. The following has worked well for me so far.

Materials needed:
2-Count #10-24 Wood Insert Lock Nuts (http://www.lowes.com/pd_137383-37672-880548_0__?productId=3012571)

#10-24 x 1/2-in Round-Head Standard Machine Screws, pretty sure they were 1/2" (http://www.lowes.com/pd_57858-37672-491297_0+2z8vh+2z8vi__?productId=3035885)

(2-Count) Black Plastic End Caps - can't remember if mine were 1/4 or 1/8" (http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...plastic+end+cap#!&N[]=0&N[]=1z10oe7&N[]=2z8vh)

Flat Washers (http://www.lowes.com/pd_58123-37672-605263_0__?productId=4639791)

Tiny screwdrivers, phillips- and flat-heads (http://www.lowes.com/pd_125913-930-324G20C_0__?productId=1206037)

This is the extent of the instructions included with the umbrella and holder. There is also a template to cut out, which is surprisingly useful, though certainly not necessary:

Cut out the template included with the umbrella, and mark where you'd like to mount the umbrella holder (or just hold the holder up where you want it). Note step 1, reminding you that you will need plenty of room to remove the umbrella from the holder, so don't place it too close to the passenger seat.

Perform step 2 - Use a punch/awl/whatever to make a small hole in the carpet at each of the markings.

Now, depart from the standard instructions and enlarge the size of the holes gradually (I used a punch, then a regular phillips head screwdriver) until each hole will snuggly/barely fit a 'wood insert lock nut'. Use a regular flat head screwdriver to screw a 'wood insert lock nut' into each of the holes until flush with the carpet.

Take a look at the standard instructions and note step 3's oddly useful method of using the template as a screw-holder to allow you to get a screw all the way to the back of the umbrella holder (where your hand won't fit). Thread a black cap on each of your screws, and use this method (or any other that you can think of) to get a screw loaded into each hole of the umbrella holder. I was assisted by a magnet. This bit is tricky. Be patient with yourself.

Taking care not to accidentally undo your hard work, put a washer on the end of the tough-to-get-to screw (to go between the holder and the carpet/'wood insert lock nut') and get it screwed into the car. There is a little hole that your tiny screwdriver will poke through to reach inside the holder. Repeat with the easier-to-get-to screw. Use your tiny screwdriver to close the black caps (this will protect the umbrella from snagging on the screw heads).

DONE!

Installed:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My umbrella fits perfectly in the side compartment of the driver's door not to mention its easy to access......just saying :)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The first time I tried to remove the umbrella from the holder, the holder held the umbrella so tightly that the plastic screw heads snapped clean off... leaving me with an umbrella-in-holder in my hand and a frown on my face.
:(

:lmao: :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts