BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hook up a 4 channel amp to the stock speakers with the preouts from a Alpine HU. How do I do this? Cant I use the factory speaker wires?

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bender said:
why do you wanna hook a amp to stock speakers?
Well, because im piecing my system together slowly & I plan to get some components later, but I want to hook up my amp now & I want to make sure it works too.

Also important is that the way my subs are connected right now, is with a hi-lo converter, and I want to connect it to the subW preout on the HU, but I cant because my alpine is already too loud at volume 13. I want to run the 4 ch amp so that my stock amp will not be used & so I can turn my Alpine volume up to like 20ish which I think its supposed to be. Then, I will be able to use my sub volume control.......... sounds like a stupid reason huh?

Yeah strangly, whith the output from the alpine to the factory amp, & then to the stock speakers, makes them very loud.. as if they are almost double the volume they are suppos ed to be.:dunno:

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you hook up your amp now you will be buying components sooner rather than later. Depending on how much power you 4ch. has (50+) your stocks will not be able to handle the power at high volumes. Most head units (even the so called high powerd ones) are really sending no more than 15-20 watts to the speakers and you are considering sending 50 or more TRUE watts to them.:thumbdwn:

Don't get me wrong you can do it and it may even sound better to you but rest assured that it will not last.

Just my .02.

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fabulus323 said:
If you hook up your amp now you will be buying components sooner rather than later. Depending on how much power you 4ch. has (50+) your stocks will not be able to handle the power at high volumes. Most head units (even the so called high powerd ones) are really sending no more than 15-20 watts to the speakers and you are considering sending 50 or more TRUE watts to them.:thumbdwn:

Don't get me wrong you can do it and it may even sound better to you but rest assured that it will not last.

Just my .02.
Yes I know. Thanks for the warning tho. I will replace the speakers when I have the $, but I want to hook it up in the meantime to be able to use my subW output volume control.

·
hammer talks like this
4,221 Posts
I wouldnt hook up an aftermarket amp to the stock speakers... I know the HK speakers handle 21 watts of power. good chance the aftermarket amp is gonna kill them or its gonna sound like pooh.

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, advice taken. I am going to go & buy some new speakers. But when I do, can I still use the factory speaker wires or do I have to re-run all the wires to the front of the car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts