E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 325ci.
I have been using the key to get in since i got this car, elec actuators, never worked fully.
I bought used door lock and new actuator from bavarian recycling.
Short of a locksmith, can I remove tumbler from new door lock and put mine in? and how.
Thanks from Texas

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 325i 5mt. 2009 535xi Touring 6mt.
593 Posts
I was just about to do this a month ago when I bought a used lock from www.bmrparts.com. Fortunately for me, it came with a key which made it simple to remove the cylinder from the lock. If I hadn't received a key, I planned on building my own tool to do it. I was going to get a strip of metal and cut a number of slots in it that I could then push down on the outside of the lock cylinder, pushing the tumblers into place so that I could slide them out. It's difficult for me to explain, but feel free to contact me for more info. I have my old lock that is busted, but still would work conceptually to show you. Also, is your existing lock cylinder actually bad? If not, you can just transfer all the other parts over from the lock you just received, then you don't have to worry about the tumblers.

Here is where I posted when I originally did this: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=913272

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.