BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will post up sharper pics of the car as soon as I bring it home. The ONLY thing pretty much wrong with this car is the little bumper gap. Previous owner said he was bumped by a friends porsche from behind and it broke a 'clip'? I'm a DIY person and he isnt so i figured id get prepared to fix it when I bring it home.

here's a pic

·
Registered
937 Posts
You have to replace the aluminum bumper reinforcement bar under the plastic cover. Minor impacts against the bumper that don't damage the plastic cover (this happens when people park by touch) deform the aluminum and cause these gaps. The aluminum bar costs between $200 and $300.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You have to replace the aluminum bumper reinforcement bar under the plastic cover. Minor impacts against the bumper that don't damage the plastic cover (this happens when people park by touch) deform the aluminum and cause these gaps. The aluminum bar costs between $200 and $300.
No you don't. There are clips that hold on the bumper cover. If one of them is broken, its like $1 or less.

·
Registered
937 Posts
No you don't. There are clips that hold on the bumper cover. If one of them is broken, its like $1 or less.
Any time there has been an impact, you need to look at the aluminum reinforcement. It bends extremely easily, and the clips won't do any good if the bar is bent. I know because I've been there (except it wasn't a Porsche that clipped my rear bumper, it was another BMW, it was in a parking garage, and it was at only a couple of mph).

·
Registered
937 Posts
Have a mechanic you trust remove the cover and tell you what is the condition of the aluminum bar, and what clips are missing. That should let you know what needs to be done. The bumper cap is relatively easy to take off.

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
aluminum bar? really? it looks like he knocked the clip loose on the inside so the end is sagging (connected by a bolt on the fender and squeezes the bumper up so it is flush). either that or the bump knocked you bumper down causing the slider bracket to shift as well

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have any pics or links soi can get an idea which clips or what they look like? thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys ! should be more than enough info for me to get a grasp at what exactly the issue is. I'll order some clips so I can fix it up when I get it !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts