BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

Does anyone know how I can eliminate as much rasp as possible?
I've searched around on to find couldn't find anything specific to what I was looking for exactly.

I have Dinan muffler (came with the car when I bought it).
I recently removed the stock headers and put on some ebay headers (I don't need/want the cats since I don't need to pass any state inspection so there's no need to lose any gains).
All the middle stuff between the two is stock.

The headers made my exhaust 100% louder but also came with 100% more rasp.
Once I hit about 3000 rpm, the rasp is all I can hear and it's unbearable and embarrassing.

I've read a lot of people saying an x-pipe will do it and others say it won't do anything. I've read a lot about a rasp pipe but I've only found one of those for the M3. There is also a lot about a resonator delete or muffler delete so I'm not even sure what would be the right approach here. I would rather like to know how I should move forward before I start chopping & welding stuff up.

I have my own tig welder so I am not afraid of having to modify specific sections of the exhaust. I do not want to buy a different brand muffler, exhaust, or such. I just want to minimize the rasp with the exhaust set-up I have currently.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to reinstall the stock headers. I like the +15 hp more than I hate the noise.

Is there a way to get rid just by modifying parts of the cat-back exhaust?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Post up a picture or diagram of your exhaust, I need to know what I'm working with.

Rob43

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a resonator delete for more rasp so probably dont do that

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking further into my own exhaust, I discovered Dinan doesn't do cat-back but only the muffelr. So the muffler is Dinan, while the other sections are stock.

I never paid much attention to it and just took the guy's word for it when he sold me it.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
OK I'm clear now, here's exactly how I'd proceed. I would buy one (1) Car Chemistry Three (3) disc insert, you'll need to take a measurement of your inside tube diameter to make sure you buy the right one. This should take away some or all of your rasp*, it's cheap & easy to install, plus it wouldn't take away from your HP. Summit Racing & Jegs should have these in stock, check around for best price.

http://www.carchemistry.com/3-disk-insert-2-1-2-diameter/

Good luck,
Rob43

* Use both silver end caps that are provided.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I'm clear now, here's exactly how I'd proceed. I would buy one (1) Car Chemistry Three (3) disc insert, you'll need to take a measurement of your inside tube diameter to make sure you buy the right one. This should take away some or all of your rasp*, it's cheap & easy to install, plus it wouldn't take away from your HP. Summit Racing & Jegs should have these in stock, check around for best price.

http://www.carchemistry.com/3-disk-insert-2-1-2-diameter/

Good luck,
Rob43

* Use both silver end caps that are provided.

I'll definitely look into that! I'll post results whenever I can get around to it.
Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts