E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you guys justify spending as much money as you do on mods ?? I would just like to know how you quiet the "voices" in your head telling you that "you shouldnt be spending that much money on something that is going to depreciate, and that you should be investing it". TIA !!

·
Registered
495 Posts
everyone has hobbies, and if you can't spend money on something that you are passionate about, why bother?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
neo_328ci said:
everyone has hobbies, and if you can't spend money on something that you are passionate about, why bother?
That's a great way to look at it ... keep them coming !!

·
Über-Geek
889 Posts
Auto-x... thats the main reason for most of my mods.. to make the car handle and perform better under an auto-x perspective... its just 2 hobbies rolled into one expense..

~T|/\/\

·
Banned
588 Posts
To mod, or not to mod? That is the question....BTW- If you want to quiet the voices....Stop making money. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
330ci dave said:
To mod, or not to mod? That is the question....BTW- If you want to quiet the voices....Stop making money. :)
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Good one ... LOL

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,349 Posts
Well, before all my mods were business related (i.e. now modding my car helps business publicity... :woot: ) I would just ask myself:

"Will this $400 set of mirrors bring me $400 worth of utility? (i.e. Jeremy Bentham's utility theory - Utility = happiness) Would I be able to live with myself if I bought it?"
If yes and yes, I'd go for it. A $6000 supercharger was no and no :cry:

JL

·
Registered
338 Posts
the more i spend on mods the less spend on beer...and the less beer i buy the less i drink, less beer drank means less time drunk...less time drunk means more time studying...more time studying means better grades...so modding increases my grades...

·
Registered
475 Posts
3erdriver said:
the more i spend on mods the less spend on beer...and the less beer i buy the less i drink, less beer drank means less time drunk...less time drunk means more time studying...more time studying means better grades...so modding increases my grades...
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of good ones ... I like Jlevi's

The constant questions I ask myself before buying a mod are the folowing.

1. Do I need it ?

2. Can I live without it ?

3. Can I afford it ?

I usually dont get passed #1 .. LOL

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
You can save all your money and then die rich.

·
The penalty men pay
8,119 Posts
vaio76109 said:
I have no idea...but they bring me enjoyment/happiness(sounds :ghey: I know)
What's wrong with admitting you do things to make yourself happy? I try to make myself happy all the time. If mods make you happy, then all the more power to ya.

·
loves M.J.
5,041 Posts
I am slowly trying to get out of modding, I think I can get more out of other things ie Photography.

At first I reckon that it'd be cheaper--god was I naive. So after stickin' my nose around photography forums, I came crawlin' back.

As a modder, I'd spend less money on my car than I would on my camera IMHO. so I'm here, and not really over there anymore. Though I'm still interested.

bigjae1976 said:
yeah. People make money to spend it, and spending it we are.... :woot:

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Mods are not an investment, they are a cost and will add little value to your car (sometimes lowers the value). They are also a compromise to your vehicle; they may enhance something in your car while at the same time diminishing another.

But mods are fun, they look good when done right, and it gives you something to do with your car, remember the fun isn't in the destination but the journey!

·
Registered
407 Posts
bigjae1976 said:
My parents know this one guy, a family friend who worked his ass off his whole life. Never went on vacations, or spent money, etc. Always wroking and saving, saving, saving. Well all the years of working built up and he got stomach cancer from too much stress. He died and in the end he left his family about $4-5 million that he saved up, working his ass off for, but he couldnt even enjoy it. :thumbdwn: Thats cool and all, leaving his wife and kids with that money, but he really should have enjoyed his life more. Mods do cost an arm and a leg, but when/if I want something bad enough, I dont care how much it costs or if I have no money. All that is on my mind is how to get the money to get what I want. Never think something is too expensive or out of your league, just set a goal and do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts