BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a slight popping from the suspension if the wheel camber position changes due to a bump when its cold... also if i give the brake pedal a tap the steering wheel jerks. The car has 23k on it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
AlBoston said:
I hear a slight popping from the suspension if the wheel camber position changes due to a bump when its cold... also if i give the brake pedal a tap the steering wheel jerks. The car has 23k on it.

Put it on the rack and pull the wheels and try to move them in a direction that they were not made to move. If they move seven slightly then your ball joints may be going. 3 series are notorious for ball joint problems.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,888 Posts
my ball joints were shot - the car creaked/popped when the wheel was turned while moving slow or stopped. There was also masive uneven wear on the tires. My Control arm bushings were also gone - that caused vibrations and clunking.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
AlBoston said:
Those symptoms of worn out control arm bushings and possibly ball joints.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Clunking

cgrizzly888 said:
Those symptoms of worn out control arm bushings and possibly ball joints.
Hey, I just did my front brakes the other day, and I noticed that at times, usually when I'm braking, I hear a "clunk" from under my side of the car. At first, I thought it had something to do with my brakes, but it sounds like something else is loose under my car by the suspension - I just had my front control arm bushings replaced about 5 mos. ago. What could else causes this noise?! :dunno:

·
Registered
359 Posts
i may be having similiar symptoms and i have a 323i, was wondering, because i am going to purchase a coil over kit for the car would that solve these problems or is that a whole other issue ?

·
Registered
699 Posts
23K miles????

Is any one model year more susceptible than others? Or is it endemic to the whole series?
I hate it when my car needs repairs :bawling:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
323CIBOY said:
Hey, I just did my front brakes the other day, and I noticed that at times, usually when I'm braking, I hear a "clunk" from under my side of the car. At first, I thought it had something to do with my brakes, but it sounds like something else is loose under my car by the suspension - I just had my front control arm bushings replaced about 5 mos. ago. What could else causes this noise?! :dunno:[/QUOTE

It's probably the ball joints.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, i cant believe the ball joints are going at this mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts