BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a AW E46 M3 (MANUAL) a few days ago.

Is it possible to get a E46 M3 to 400hp NA? If so, what parts/things do I need to replace?

If not, how much can I pump out with this vehicle tuning it NA?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
get a VAC motor thread /

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gears and losing weight will make your car faster, but not increase power.

As has been said a million times before, the cheapest way to get 400whp (or crank for that matter) is to just supercharge your car. In my case, my car actually runs better because of the high quality ESS tune. It will cost me 7k, but I will have gone from 275whp to 425+ whp. NA mods cant touch that. Even my non intercooled sc kit is much much much faster than a stock m3.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
get a VAC motor thread /
Ha +1,000 took the words right out of my mouth lol

OP, 400 is ridiculous, it will cost more then a s/c in the long run. Something as simple as headers and a tune will dramatically change the drive quality.. All I have is jvt headers, RPI scoops,BMC high flow and the Evolve-r tune and my car Is significantly faster then a stock M.
As stated above ESS or AA S/C is the way to go.

< weight
software
Headers, exhaust, etc
Intake
Gears
Smaller pulleys

This might get you close, but cant promise 400
Out of all that, two of them will provide worthwhile HP gains, headers and software aka tune.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Vacmotorsports is probably the only place you will be getting near 400hp+ na tuned.

Nearly everyone here will tell you S/C or Turbo...

Me personally, i like NA, even if a turbo or s/c can do the job i prefer NA.

Headers...(full exhaust redo if you want)
Intake
might as well throw on some pulleys since your gonna be in the engine bay area
software to make use of all that

you can do a stroker kits but alas its expensive (really expensive but cheaper than the next options)...

And if you really want to be nuts, and get 400hp...drop a m5 motor s62 motor in your car...that will solve your hp and torque issues hehehe

I guess the question you should ask yourself really...is.....how deep are your pockets?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Swapping motors will throw off the cars weight distribution and really isn't an option if you want to retain the M3's handling.

OP, maybe try headers and a tune and see how the car feels. 400whp probably isn't a realistic goal without extremely deep pockets.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Swapping motors will throw off the cars weight distribution and really isn't an option if you want to retain the M3's handling.

OP, maybe try headers and a tune and see how the car feels. 400whp probably isn't a realistic goal without extremely deep pockets.
10lbs wont do crap to weight distribution on a 3400lb car...

the s62 motor drops in at 340lbs...our s54 motor weighs 330lbs..

now the trannies might be a tad diff in weight but not huge

·
Registered
89 Posts
I see, but if I were to throw on a SC to make it to 400, wouldn't it waste more gas than tuning it NA?

I mean I'm just going to work, lol. No need for SC :p
The gas mileage difference for me is not noticeable whatsoever. Plus, who buys an m3 for gas mileage?

Sc m3 is way faster than a basic bolt on m3, I know bc I had both.

A vt500 kit from ess will run 425+ whp on 93 octane for 7k, and idle and drive smoother thqn stock.

And as for your comment, you are only going to work, why do you need a m3 to do it??? ;)

·
Banned
9,354 Posts
don't listen to all these guys. If you want a 400hp NA M3, go for it! I remember reading a thread where one of the tuning companies got 370-380whp to their M3 with schrick cams, headers + full exhaust, CSL airbox, and alpha-N tuning. Those mods alone are in your budget.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My goal is 400 as well,
I will be going with the Fabspeed headers mids and active autowerks exhaust. I have the AFI intake and elbow with the Shark chip and Turner pullies ( makes a very noticible difference with the three of them). This should give you 405hp and one great sounding machine !!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The gas mileage difference for me is not noticeable whatsoever. Plus, who buys an m3 for gas mileage?

Sc m3 is way faster than a basic bolt on m3, I know bc I had both.

A vt500 kit from ess will run 425+ whp on 93 octane for 7k, and idle and drive smoother thqn stock.

And as for your comment, you are only going to work, why do you need a m3 to do it??? ;)
+2 :lmao: "I am just going to work!" classic :facepalm: comment

a used AA gen3 stg2 will also get you just past that number but it all goes back to your comment....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Cause I want to be fancy. :rofl:
Fancy is another way of saying Foolish!

My goal is 400 as well,
I will be going with the Fabspeed headers mids and active autowerks exhaust. I have the AFI intake and elbow with the Shark chip and Turner pullies ( makes a very noticible difference with the three of them). This should give you 405hp and one great sounding machine !!

Wadia I call B.S.
do you have dyno proof of that HP claim?
keep in mine our Rated HP of 333 is to the crank not wheel
add+ Fabspeed headers & Mids = 10hp gain
add+ AA exhaust = 10hp gain
add + AFI Intake & elbow = 5hp gain
add+ Shark Injector = 10hp gain
add+ Turner pullies = 5hp gain
That is a Total of only 40 Hp gain which is questionable when all installed together. add that 40 to the 333 and your at 373hp NOT 405

but as some have said, this has been argued many,many times. I have been there and found this route to be a disappointing waste of Money and Time.

Get a used SC kit and call it a day. AA/ESS and you can not go wrong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts