BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car for service a few days ago and checked out the Service Engine Soon light. The guy said it was caused by a faulty cam sensor in the exhaust, and said I should get it fixed since it might do damage to the car down the line. I haven't noticed any loss in power and it does make sense to get it fixed since I'm going to keep this car for a while, but what the hell does it really do? I'm guessing my car won't be running as efficient and all, but would it be that bad that my engine gets messed up? I've already been running like this over 15k miles, and no problems. I dunno, I can think of other good ways to spend $170. :dunno:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Definitely get it fixed. When my cam sensor went bad it caused the car to start stalling going uphill. I didn't notice a lack of power, just stalling. Once fixed it's been smooth sailing. I bet having a bad cam sensor would cause bad gas mileage as well since the cam shafts are adjusting the valves based on bad info from the sensor. Just a guess.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
I had an exhaust cam sensor go bad two months ago. I probably put around 1000 miles (800 of which were highway) on the car before I was finally able to get it fixed. The car drove fine and I had no trouble on hills or anything else.

It was fixed under warranty, however.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just had this happen to me as well, but I have an intake cam sensor that is bad. Stalling and tripping all over itself. Going in for 1st service under my "extended warranty" I'm anxious to see how this works out...:argue:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts