BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a well kept 01 325xi wagon with a manual, i bought it knowing the valve cover was seeping and since replaced it however there is still a "hot" burning smell after traveling on the highway. I don't think it's engine oil cause it has a different smell and doesn't come in the cab while driving. the odor seems to be stronger under the car, i thought it could be the clutch so i tried to get the clutch to slip under WOT on the highway at around 3k-4k but didn't notice the tach jump. the clutch seems to bite strong. any ideas?

·
Registered
547 Posts
It is just left over oil that's still on the exhaust manifold. Drive around for a few days and eventually it will go away

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'v got about 150 miles on it since I did the valve cover gasket, mostly city driving. how long could i expect oil to burn off?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'v got about 150 miles on it since I did the valve cover gasket, mostly city driving. how long could i expect oil to burn off?
How messed up was the VCG? The oil leaks out onto the exhaust manifold which then burns thy dripping oil.. If there was a lot of oil on the exhaust manifold from before the VCG was done, it will stay there until it gets burned off. Did you do the VCG yourself or did you get a shop to do it for you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did the VCG myself, there wasn't a great deal of oil leakage but the small aluminum heat shield right above the manifold was stained with cooked oil and the center gasket was torn around center bolt holes. the old VCG was mildly stiff but still intact. i properly cleaned up the head and used red RTV around the half moons and around the bolt holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It could be the gasket for the oil filter cartridge holder. It is not as obvious as the VCG as it is tucked down against the engine. I had to replace mine at about 100k miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill check that out! thanks. this sunday i plan on doing plugs, oil filter housing gasket (weeping a lil), water pump, belt and coolant tank. i'll get a better view then.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
ill check that out! thanks. this sunday i plan on doing plugs, oil filter housing gasket (weeping a lil), water pump, belt and coolant tank. i'll get a better view then.
If your doing the OFHG you may as well do the CCV & connecting tubes. Super easy with all that crap off.

I just replaced my Valve Cover (came with new gasket), OFHG and CCV+Connecting Tubes (Cold weather version). I cleaned the DISA & Throttle Body while everything was apart.

Also if your going to do the CCV, pull your dipstick tube and make sure the line is clear from the CCV drain tube.

Took about 8 hours for all of that. (I work slowly and carefully).

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
i properly cleaned up the head and used red RTV around the half moons and around the bolt holes.
I've never heard of putting rtv around the bolt holes. I think your vcg is still leaking. Did you use an OE gasket set? Victor Rainz brand is known to leak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If your doing the OFHG you may as well do the CCV & connecting tubes. Super easy with all that crap off.

I just replaced my Valve Cover (came with new gasket), OFHG and CCV+Connecting Tubes (Cold weather version). I cleaned the DISA & Throttle Body while everything was apart.

Also if your going to do the CCV, pull your dipstick tube and make sure the line is clear from the CCV drain tube.

Took about 8 hours for all of that. (I work slowly and carefully).

:thumbsup:
I will get the CCV and hoses and do it at the same time, that makes total sense. This sunday I shall just do plugs and install a pan heater.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never heard of putting rtv around the bolt holes. I think your vcg is still leaking. Did you use an OE gasket set? Victor Rainz brand is known to leak.
I used a victor rainz VCG. When i do the plugs on sunday ill have the engine cover off and have a little better view.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Refer to this thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...fluid leaks w/ pics and part numbers thread**

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts