BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is not Persian
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a few times in the past I have wanted to wash my car and have started to do it soon after I drove it. The brakes were naturally really hot and when the water touched them, it would just evaporate instantaneously and there would be steam. Is this bad for my brakes? I've only done it like twice. TIA!

·
Track it
930 Posts
This terrible steam phenomenon is called steam away and is what happens when you put cold water on hot brakes....the brake rotors melt away little by little and turn to steam and evaporate...it is very bad..its in the manual..page 87.

·
Is not Persian
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, once i saw the steam i knew somethin was goin on that was definitely not good. Thats why i try to wait until my car cools off before i wash it now...i didn't know it was that bad though...

·
Track it
930 Posts
i was only joking...its not bad...it doesn't really matter...technically if the brakes are extra hot and you put alot of cold water on them, they could warp, but chances are that as long as you haven't been on a track for 30minutes, the rotors are not that hot... dont worry about the steam mashalashaahs

·
Is not Persian
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe, i cant help but laugh at my gullibility....i have been :eek:wned:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts