BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got another sound check for you.

Recently I've been noticing a noise coming from the right side of my car when I have the windows down, I'm pretty sure it's the front right wheel but not positive.

It's making a pretty loud noise that sounds exactly like I have a few rocks stuck in my tires, but I can assure I don't. At first I just thought it was rocks but the other night it was bothering me so much I pulled over and checked and there were ZERO rocks in any of my tires.

It's a very loud metallic clinging or ticking.

Any idea's?

I do have a bad wheel bearing on the driver side front wheel, so I was gonna change both fronts to rule that out, but the more I think about it and discuss it with my friends I don't think that's the issue here.

PLEASE help me out, I don't want to have to just start replacing parts until it goes away!:banghead:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw car is a 2001 325i, and I just put CSL reps on it (was making the noise before the new wheels)

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
Stones can get behind the rotor and bang against the dust shield. They can also get stuck inside the middle part of the rotor...had that happen before.

Try rinsing with a strong squirt of water just for grins...might get lucky.

Anyway, I'm basing that on your impression there are stones, but ignoring your assertion that there aren't! First impressions are often correct!

·
Registered
389 Posts
ok. i had the same noise in my E36. it happened that the brake pads got worn out prematurely. i didn't had to brake to get the sound. it was screeching was i was driving. as for my E46, i happened to get the same noise again in the rear wheels. it was dust that collected in the brake pads. i just had it removed and cleaned and the sound was gone. i think you should check for the brakes first. as for the bearing, you have to change it anyway.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm planing on doing both front bearings some time next week. The thing is I noticed this a lot with my old tires and stock wheels, but the Michelin pilot sports I had were brand new and getting rocks stuck in them left and right (since my drive way is pebble) but the conti extreme contact dw 's i have now don't pick up the rocks like the sports, and the noise is still there.

About the brakes, I just replaced the front over the winter (pads and rotors) and I need to the rear very soon.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if you're saying it's a ticking sound it might be the roller bears rolling around with no grease.
Jake, I still want to say it's bearing related like you said, hopefully my indy can figure it out when he replaces the wheel bearings this week.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
So in thinking about this, if you know wheel bearings are bad and think this might be bearings, then you might want to jack that side up and give the wheel a spin yourself.

If a bearing is at the point of really clanging, I think it could be just this side of seizing too...so good thing you're getting to it soon.

Usually a bad bearing presents itself with a whooping in time with rotation...starting off with it on curves where that wheel is loaded. I suppose it gets worse and worse over time until it's wobbling constantly but I've never experienced anything that bad myself.

It doesn't sound like that to me. Even if a bearing was loose, it's behind a lot of heavy metal there in the wheel...clinking sounds like the dust shield and a few pebbles getting kicked up by the rotor.

That, or maybe it's your battery!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So in thinking about this, if you know wheel bearings are bad and think this might be bearings, then you might want to jack that side up and give the wheel a spin yourself.

If a bearing is at the point of really clanging, I think it could be just this side of seizing too...so good thing you're getting to it soon.

Usually a bad bearing presents itself with a whooping in time with rotation...starting off with it on curves where that wheel is loaded. I suppose it gets worse and worse over time until it's wobbling constantly but I've never experienced anything that bad myself.

It doesn't sound like that to me. Even if a bearing was loose, it's behind a lot of heavy metal there in the wheel...clinking sounds like the dust shield and a few pebbles getting kicked up by the rotor.

That, or maybe it's your battery!
:rofl: definitely the battery Doug, lol.

But yea, the driver side bearing is really loud and making a low droning noise, and showing very typical wheel bearing noises. I'm gonna replace both but I really don't think it's gonna solve this problem.

I tried jacking up the car and spinning the wheel earlier today, but I couldn't reproduce the same noise. It made a small whooshing noise every time it went around at about the same spot on the rotor when it would go thru the caliper but I think it was pretty normal.

BTW thanks for all the responses guys.

I tried taking a video of the sound but it didn't come out so good, I'm gonna find a tunnel or the like cause it's much louder (obviously) when it echos of a solid wall next to me.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
You can tighten the anti-rattle clips, but don't think that would be a horrible sound.

How long had your bearings been going bad you think?

Because, I'm thinking that if they are bad enough to wobble, then I wonder if maybe the rotor is just wiggling into the dust shield...or, simpler yet...your dust shield is just bent in a little. It's very close to the rotor and I've had them rub before...just push them back all the way around.

I still think a little stone will come out from between there and rotor...a strong rinse with water as I said...or compressed air. Bang on the dust shield, if you get that rattle, there you go.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out all of symptoms I had were due to the passenger front wheel bearing. Just thought I'd update with the cause incase anyone stumbles upon this thread later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am having similar sound from my Passenger side front wheels for sometime.
I know my CV joint is shot on that side. I am also suspecting that the bearing on that side may be shot too.

I also observed that there is feathering on the tire on that side. An indy guy said that the feathering may be caused due to problems with suspension and that its not because of the bad CV.

A bad CV joint is clearly visible, but how do you diagnose a bad bearing?
Is there is simple way to tell a bad bearing?

The noise i get is loud whining, and it increases when i am decelerating without applying the brakes.

Any pointers appreciated..

Also can someone point me to DIY for CV Joint and Bearing replacement.

neo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts