BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have an aftermarket CF hood, and being that I don't trust my half-not working stock latch, I have picked up a set of hood pins, and I'm wondering if anyone knows the best place to mount the anchor bolts that would stick up and go through the hood and that the pins would slide into.

I found a few potential spots below, any ideas??

Spot 1: Holes left after removing the sprial screw thingies above the headlight and to the left and right of the air intake scoop (near the hood shock plates)

Spot 2: Hole above headlight used to access one of the headlight adjustment knobs (although this hole is very close to the edge of the hood):

Spot 3: Drill my own holes into the bracket. I feel like this option is the best one, but I'm apprehensive about drilling. Any tips?

Any ideas/experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes of course lol. Now any ideas for the mounting location?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Now any ideas for the mounting location?

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
I have none, because I think hood pins are gay.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the help. Is there anyone at all who will contribute substance to this thread??? Someone with the same exact question as me will eventually come along, and then they'll search, find this thread, and start reading it and just get frustrated because no one even bothers to try and help at all.

Once I get the pins installed, I will create a thread on how I did it, and contribute to this community and this forum. So I really could use some actual help. Thank you.

Edit: One more thing: Please don't post something if it doesn't contribute to the thread. I do in fact have a sense of humor, and if you're trying to be funny, that's great but you're in the wrong place. Go to the Off Topic forums and post anything you'd like there for all your comedic needs. This is the General E46 forum, and it is for THIS: "This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!". ALTHOUGH it says "opinions", calling something "gay" is probably not what it has in mind as the definition of opinions. It probably means constructive advice.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I was going to hate on you but I'll refrain since you're in the armed forces, for which you deserve loads of respect.

What sort of hood do you have?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Class of 2010! :facepalm:

Hood pins belong on civics....
Thanks SalM, I really appreciate your input. In fact, because you said this, I'm now going to just rely on my old half-broken stock hood latch to hold my very expensive, lightweight carbon fiber hood on!

Hood pins belong on aftermarket hoods so they don't fly off and kill someone else or you. This is widely accepted in many other car communities that I have belonged to, including the Lexus IS scene.

If you think otherwise, I respect your opinion, and I would gladly read over any advice you have for me on why to not get them and such, but this thread is about where to mount the anchor bolts.

If you have nothing to say about that, then why are you even posting? To up your post count? I don't really want to know, because all I really want is some advice from some experienced and friendly members of this forum. You've shown me you aren't one of them.

Now that that's settled, anyone with any idea or advice about where to mount these bolts please speak up! I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to hate on you but I'll refrain since you're in the armed forces, for which you deserve loads of respect.

What sort of hood do you have?
Thank you FTWeisse, I appreciate your help you have no idea. I have a vented CF Vorstiener hood. I'm looking at those three options above, and as of right now I'm leaning towards drilling into the bracket there to make my own properly sized holes. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Now that you mention you have a composite hood I'm glad you are opting for proper pins. Granted, you might get made fun of by the track guys, it's a responsible mod considering the materials you're dealing with. Mount them on to the aluminum cross-member across the radiator. That's where most of us have ours...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mount them on to the aluminum cross-member across the radiator. That where most of us have ours...
Yeah okay good that's where I was looking at. Did you drill holes into the cross-member or use existing ones? Thanks

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Yeah okay good that's where I was looking at. Did you drill holes into the cross-member or use existing ones? Thanks
I drilled holes - I don't have any pictures (and can't take any because the racecar is in storage for the winter) but you can always get onto bimmerforums.com and poke around the motorsport subforum. You should be able to find loads of examples there. It's very straight-forward so don't let it intimidate you. Find a place on the hood along the length of the cross-member where you think the pins look best and drill there. I do recommend drilling closer to the front hood grill inlets because you can slide your hand inside and underneath the cross-member to tighten the nuts. If you don't do this, you'll need to remove the entire cross-member and further still run the risk that you'll interfere with clearance of the headlight housings...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Its hard to pick a spot without looking at the hood, but Ill say the rubber adjustments should not be removed since they help stabilization and vibration; I would probably drill my own about 3-4 inches in from the sides and prob behind the headlights. I love the look of hood pins btw!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drilled holes - I don't have any pictures (and can't take any because the racecar is in storage for the winter) but you can always get onto bimmerforums.com and poke around the motorsport subforum. You should be able to find loads of examples there. It's very straight-forward so don't let it intimidate you. Find a place on the hood along the length of the cross-member where you think the pins look best and drill there. I do recommend drilling closer to the front hood grill inlets because you can slide your hand inside and underneath the cross-member to tighten the nuts. If you don't do this, you'll need to remove the entire cross-member and further still run the risk that you'll interfere with clearance of the headlight housings...
EXCELLENT! Thank you for this amazing advice, I really do appreciate the help. I'm going to create a DIY hopefully so keep an eye out for it in the near future. Also if you're ever in the Pensacola, FL area, I'll buy you a beer and show you around the military base here. The Navy's Blue Angels are stationed here and park their jets about 500 yards from where I work! lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its hard to pick a spot without looking at the hood, but Ill say the rubber adjustments should not be removed since they help stabilization and vibration; I would probably drill my own about 3-4 inches in from the sides and prob behind the headlights. I love the look of hood pins btw!
Thanks man! Appreciate it! Beer and tour for you as well! lmao

EDIT: So that's what those rubber thingies do! Weird.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts