BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Homelink garage door opener. Everything went easily enough, but the strange thing is you can't use it unless the key is in position 2. This is kind of nutty. I like to open the garage door and then start the car. And it is just as inconvenient when I get home. I'd rather turn off the engine before closing the garage door.

Is this the way the Homelink is set up on all BMW's? The Homelink unit in my Honda Odyssey works even if the key isn't in the ignition.

·
call me kev :D
6,179 Posts
without the key being in there, the homelink doesn't get no power, so it won't work without the key...

why can't you just walk out of the car and close the garage using the garage opener installed on the wall?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right, using the wall button isn't such a nuisance, and it is more convenient than using the Homelink unit. I guess I was surprised that BMW chose are slightly inconvenient implementation of the technology.

·
Network Analyst
3,469 Posts
What did you want to do? Hit the Homelink button, turn off the engine, jump out of the car and make a run out of the garage door Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark style? :)

dave

·
call me kev :D
6,179 Posts
Commander FAT said:
What did you want to do? Hit the Homelink button, turn off the engine, jump out of the car and make a run out of the garage door Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark style? :)

dave
:yikes: :yikes: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Commander FAT said:

dave
Actaully it is almost exactly the opposite situation that is most likely. My routine in the morning, while half asleep, is to get in the car, hit the Homelink button, start the car, and back out of garage. If I do this in the future I'll end up backing out through the garage door. That would impress the neighbors!

·
Modelrater
739 Posts
I believe the reason behind this is security.

Let's just say you decided to park outside of the garage because you are fixing the floor. Someone could just break the car window and press the garage door opener. Viola! They are inside your house.

This way, your car key acts as a security measure to prevent unauthorized use of your homelink product. It's actually more secure than a regular stand-alone remote. :D

·
Big in Japan
1,358 Posts
If you are good with electronics; you can tap the constant power from the dome light, and use that to power the homelink (which has a switched power source). This is what I did, that homelink off when the car is off drove me up the wall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RichP - great idea, I'm going to do it. Do you happen to remember which color wire you cut going into the Homelink unit? Also, which color wire supplies the unswitched power to the dome light? If the wire harness to the dome light unplugs it should be easy enough to work this out with a voltmeter, so I guess my real question is, were there any tricks, tips, or pitfalls when you did the rewiring?

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RichP said:
If you are good with electronics; you can tap the constant power from the dome light, and use that to power the homelink (which has a switched power source). This is what I did, that homelink off when the car is off drove me up the wall.
OK, I did the same thing, it wasn't hard, and it is much more convenient now.

Brief instructions:

There are three wires going into the Homelink unit, Green/Blue, Violet/Blue, and Brown. Cut the Green/Blue wire (it is the switched power), but leave at least an inch sticking out of the adapter that plugs into the Homelink unit.

The dome light assembly pushes out and its adapter can be disconnected. There are 5 wires leading into it. The 5th wire, separated from the rest, is Red/Yellow. It has the unswitched power. Pick your favorite method for tapping into that wire. I cut the wire and added an extension to each end and then connected them to the short Green/Blue wire sticking out of the Homelink adapter.

That's all there is to it. The Homelink now has power no matter what.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As stated in another post by Conrad its there for security reasons.Is it realy worth it to rewire and lose the security feature?
vern

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
vernong said:
As stated in another post by Conrad its there for security reasons.Is it realy worth it to rewire and lose the security feature?
vern
It is if your garage is not attached to your house!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never needed or wanted to leave my car outside my garage so the security issue doesn't apply to me. I got used to the unswitched power supply on my other car, so it is nice to have the same configuration on this one. I suppose if you never got used to something else, you might not miss it. At least it is easy to reconfigure if you want to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts