E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am in the process of trying to figure out how to retrofit the OEM home link garage door opener kit on my 2001 bmw e46 330ci. I read that the earlier models do not have the wiring pre wired, also if your car doesn't have that stickers on the rear trunk that means the car was not pre wired for that given functionality. I do no have a cut out cover for a sunroof etc so that means that getting under the roof will be a pain.

I have 2 questions:
1) How can i know if my car comes with that wiring already from the factory without going to the pain of removing every panel in order t remove the roof to see if the plug is there.
2) If my car does not come HomeLink pre-wired how can i proceed and wire it myself. I have tried to look up the wiring diagram of the vehicle but i cannot figure out where the wiring is, also i tried looking on realOEM to see if i can identify the module/switch and go from there, both to no success.

I really want that feature in my BMW, i don't mind if the procegure is time consuming or "not worth it". Are there any resources that i can go through and figure it out? Any resource will be greatly appriciated!

Note: My BMW was imported from UK to Cyprus.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,983 Posts
my 2000 323Ci had it. would expect the later year 330Ci to have it also.

*edit noticed you don’t have sunroof to check easily.

·
Registered
2001 325i 5mt. 2009 535xi Touring 6mt.
600 Posts
My 2001 325i had the cord sitting right there and it plugged in. I don't know what the cars without a sunroof look like, but doesn't the overhead light panel just pop out? I'm not sure how you would then mount the Homelink unit? What about getting a rearview mirror from an E90 that has Homelink on it? There are plenty of people who have retrofitted those as well (granted you would still need switched 12v present).

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,983 Posts
yeah I suspect all USA builds have it.
where did you hear some don’t?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello
Thank you for the replies, i can provide you with photos of the car's interior when i see the car as it is in a different town at the moment, yes the vehicle is euro spec so there are no emblems in the trunk, noticed that some cars have the wiring even if the car is not pre-wired.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Here's one for starters..

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2001 325i had the cord sitting right there and it plugged in. I don't know what the cars without a sunroof look like, but doesn't the overhead light panel just pop out? I'm not sure how you would then mount the Homelink unit? What about getting a rearview mirror from an E90 that has Homelink on it? There are plenty of people who have retrofitted those as well (granted you would still need switched 12v present).
I have thought of that but i am not sure if the mirror has all the necessary modules installed in it of if it still want the external home link wiring, found one that is from an e92 that has the compass and the home link function. Lets hope that it will not be a waste of money, i'll keep you updated on this subject as i have read more people being in my position. :)

·
Registered
M54 330i
676 Posts
Mine has it. When I reupholstered the headliner, which required removing it, I saw the extra plug. I don't have the homelink, but I have the wiring, and even the sunroof motor cover has the cutout, so all I have to do it pop it out and pop in a homelink and plug it in if I wanted one.

If you don't have the wiring, I don't think it's worth the effort - or expense. Just get a garage door opener and leave it on your sunvisor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hi there.. my car was also not pre wired,,took a garage opener module(roof black module with 3 buttons)there are 3 wires u need to connect.,
..wire 1 to the fuse 26 .. hardwire ( u must open the fusebox see my threat how to open fusebox)and put 5 amp fuse in it..
..wire 3 is ground ,,or the black box on the top of your fusebox..( connected to the brown wires with speciall pin or make one by your self or get some at scrapyard..
..wire 2 to for illumination to (light control module )pin 47 ,, this is themidule how u turn your lights on on the lefthand sode.,or get the groop connector (x908)where all the illumination comes together under the carpet under the passenger side (on the left side) ( u must till all the carpet up u see it..see my pictures for u..
i runned all the wires together under the headliner ,,,to the rightside under pillar right side ,,and nicelly to the top of the fusebox and the fusebox itself,, tied together with ziptie many i used hhhhchears..

this is the wire groop connector under the carpet
Automotive tire Font Screenshot Auto part Bumper

this is the diagram
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Diagram

1 - 11 of 11 Posts