E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys:

i found this great page on the bmw website in reference to everything about smg. man, i just learned so much! i know there's been talk about how to launch the SMG in order to get the maximum acceleration and some people said you have to get some special software that the european models have. well, on this website, they use the term "Launch Control". this is how you activate it:
"In the top sports setting (S6), Launch control is activated. This special function is truly unique and makes for pure maximum acceleration excitement. Deactivate the DSC, choose the S6 driving program and while the car is still stationary, tip the select lever forward and hold it there. Press the accelerator fully down. The engine speed of the mighty M powerplant is brought up to 3500rpm. Then just let go of the select lever: the full thrust of the high-rev engine is immediately unleashed onto the road, in an unforgettable burst of sports car acceleration." check it out for yourself:

http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/special/smg/main.html

this is crazy!!! you can depress the gas all the way down and it only takes u up to the perfect starting point of 3500rpm. then, when you let go to start, you get awesome power out and very little wheel spin. has anyone ever heard of this? i just tried it out and it is off the hook!!!! go to downloads and then download the video labeled "launch control" and you'll get a better idea of what i'm talking about. i don't know if this is common knowledge or what, but i haven't seen a post about this and my salesperson never mentioned it...so this should help all of us SMG owners out a lot!

Safeer

·
Banned
620 Posts
Where the **** have you been? Everyone knows about this! The US models can only launch at 1800 rpm which is not amazing at all.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,661 Posts
thanks for the information

i have a 2003 m3 smg and i did not no about this site .

i like to say that the launch mode to me is like when you power brake the car. when you have one foot down on the brake all the way down. and with the other foot you have foot down on the gas.
you get something like the launch feeling. but thanks for the link.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Über-Geek
860 Posts
This may be just rumor but someone told me that you can only do it once every 30 minutes or something like that.. but like i said its just hearsay.. :dunno:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here's an interesting point- I was talking with a BMW tech, and he told me that a little known fact about the launch control is that the OBC logs its usage, and deducts milage from your vehicles clutch warranty with repeated usage. (something like 1,000km per usage)

Not entirely sure if it's true- but it seems to make sense. So you may want to bear this in mind or at least verify it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Im not one to spread rumors, but I remember reading somewhere that if you use the launch control too many times it voids your warranty. I think it was in an easter egg thread...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I beleive using this a certain amount of times does void your warrenty but only in the euro spec models since they drop the clutch at higher rpm (i think 3800). Unlimited uses on US spec but still does cause wear..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if all of you knew this, then why the hell didn't anyone say anything when i asked questions about smg??? i haven't had any problems on rolling starts...i kept asking about how to get better starts and all i got was "u need software" ...that's why this came as a shcok. the only reference materials i have are the manual and my salesperson (and now you guys).

sorry.

safeer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Saffer you are doing the right thing by posting your enthusiasm for your car. This thread made very interesting reading for me, not to mention that I now want an M3. :banghead:

Amazing how everyone is suddenly an expert in the field. :confused:

You have one of the best cars out there. :thumbup:

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
:werd: give the guy a break.... (PS there are a lot of SMG users who struggle to even USE the Launch Control, so come on guys....)

·
Registered
426 Posts
You da man Safeer. That will be my next car.

Always ignore the rude ones. You get flamed for not searching, ignored when asking legit questions, and tormented by the youth on this board. You did the right thing. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.